Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Check battery dimensions before paying for them
groingo
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 11:40 - Edited by: groingo

This fall I got a new set of batteries, they looked, felt and performed ok but while just killing some time I checked the dimensions and compared and that is when I found my batteries had been miss labeled and what were supposed to be 225 AH batteries were actually 100 AH....OOPS!
By looking at them they look very similar but when checking the specs and dimensions there were some definite differences in overall size and weight and get this, for the same price I had already paid $119.00 each.
So with that in hand, back they go and this time I measure and weigh before taking home.
Bottom line, it will halve my recharging intervals so rather than a recharge every other day I will be able to go four to five days between recharges and the nice thing is that at two days between recharges it was still less than the power company would charge so I was still money ahead, thankful I bought them locally, it's just an easy swap.

jaransont3
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:15

If I might ask....what brand and type are the batteries and where did you find 225AH batteries for $119 each. Most of the 80-100AH batteries I have been finding are around $200 each. 225AH are considerably more than that.

groingo
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 13:34 - Edited by: groingo

These are made by Crown Battery but sold under many different names, mine was Budget battery, Crown supplies blank batteries and Budget just puts their labels on them.
Here is a sample: http://www.solar-electric.com/cr225am6vode.html

jaransont3
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 14:04

Aahhh. You are buying 6V batteries. I have been looking at 12V. That explains the difference.

Although it does look like it might be more cost effective to run 2 6V batteries in series for a given desired AH then a single 12V battery with equivalent AH.

Interesting.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 15:30

jaransont3, 6 volt batteries are almost always a better battery too. They almost always have heavier, read that as thicker, lead plates than 12 volt batteries, even the so-called deep cycle 12 volt. That Crown CR220 is an excellent industrial style battery.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.