Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Freeze Dried Food
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 13 Jan 2013 18:52

Every September, we attend a rally near our cabin and stay there for a week. This past September, we took along some freeze dried chicken and mashed potatoes made by Mountain House. We never ended up using it and left it there at the cabin. Well, yesterday we went into town at lunch and had some KFC lunch buffet and weren't wanting a huge meal for supper and I remembered the freeze dried package we had and figured it wouldn't be much so I'd fix that. Man, oh man was I pleasantly surprised. That stuff was pretty good. Took about 5 minutes to prepare.

I'm thinking about getting a larger supply of different varieties to leave there at the cabin to eat when we go down there. Mountain House was pretty good, but I see several other brands of "survival food" and was wondering if anyone else had had any good and/or bad experience with other brands or just any general thoughts or comments on the subject.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jan 2013 22:21

I like freeze dried food when there is no other practical solution to solving the need for food. Freeze dried better today than it was 25 years ago, but.... Maybe I'm too fussy.

Keeping food on hand in below freezing temperatures is a problem though. Not too many solutions when it is unheated. Our 7 foot deep hole in the ground with insulated top end plug allows us to keep canned goods, which I also do not like a lot; but like better than FD.

Can't beat fresh or frozen.

groingo
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 00:39

I can remember when I was young hiking with the family in the mountains (Greenwater)in the snow and we had a beef stroganoff lunch (freeze dried) warmed over a camp fire...best meal I ever had, I guess it depends a lot on the conditions....dang it, now I'm hungry.

Thunder9
# Posted: 19 Jan 2013 13:21

It's my understanding that Mountain Home is the best quality freezed dried foods you can buy. A bit pricey,less expensive by the pallet load.

I know a few who have experimented making there own. Hardcore survivalist. Nothing wrong with that either. Maybe when I'm retired I'll try it. For now I'll keep doing the dehyrated fruits.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jan 2013 21:05

I have purchased several of these right from Amazon, best prices around. I just told the wife, I want 6 months supply of food on hand for us. (I'm a prepper light")

http://www.amazon.com/Banquet-Storage-Supply-Servings-13-0x13-0x13-0/dp/B005A15YUU/re f=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1BDQXOCU8M0I8&coliid=I24S9AJUQXGNEP

Just type in prepper in the search, you will find all kinds of items. I purchased so many paperback book from them on just about everything from canning, building a root cellar, preserving foods, survival stuff, wild game, medical books...

hattie
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 00:31

Quoting: Thunder9
For now I'll keep doing the dehyrated fruits.

We've been having fun with our dehydrator. Yesterday was my first try at beef jerky - DELICIOUS!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.