Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How fast does your cabin heat up?
SE Ohio
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 20:09

Our 14' x 24' "stick construction" cabin, heats up about 5 degrees F per hour with woodburner heat. Walls have insulation. Last trip it was 34 degrees indoors upon arrival!

Has anyone else studied how fast their cabin warms up? What heat source and construction?

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 21:20

16x30, 8 foot ceiling, no loft, no interior walls save for the small bathroom.

R19 floor, R19 walls, R45 ceiling, good lowe tight fitting windows, steel door with exterior storm door.

VC Aspen wood stove with exterior fresh air intake and a Housewarmer wall mount direct vent propane heater.

The last trip up it was 22 F inside upon arrival; 28 outside.

We started the wood stove and the propane heater. That is our usual drill when it is Cold. We also lit the oven and set it to heat so we could bake some brownies. That helps a wee bit.

Two hours later it was 64 F which is a typical time/rise for us. When the temperature hits about 62 - 64 the propane heater is shut down or turned to pilot only.

The amount of attic insulation helped cut the warm up time immensely. The original attic was just a layer of R13 batts with the T&G 1x6 under them. The first winter was like that and the warm up took noticeably longer. The interior also cooled off faster. Second summer we blew in a mess of cellulose, which was planned for all along. That made a huge difference in summer as well.

countrygirl
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 09:22

cabin, heats up about 5 degrees C per hour with woodburner heat, is the same as us. We have R 20 all around, R 40 in the ceiling. When we went this weekend it was -25C outside -5C in the cabin, 2 hours later it was +5C in the cabin. There is a 22foot loft in the main room where the stove is.

groingo
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:28

My 10 by 20 shed with insulation and wood stove takes 30 to 45 minutes to get to 65 degrees regardless of the starting temp,

bugs
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:03

Our fully insulated shack, 77sq feet, goes from -10C to about +16C in about 30 minutes using a big buddy heater (with a window cracked open for fresh air).

The temp at the ceiling is 30C. At chest level 18C and the floor is about 10C. To reduce the stratification we have an accessory windshield fan you sometimes see in trucks or fans to circulate the air. Helps with the stratification.

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:01

Went up this weekend and took some notes out of curiosity. Our cabin is 926 sq.feet w/a 12/12 roof pitch. We have a 3/4 loft...lots of air to warm up.

We had the wood stove going and also a 70,000 BTU kerosene heater and two ceiling fans that help with circulation.

Upon arrival it was 18F inside and 28F outside temp. Time was 11AM

At noon it was 50 degrees in the coolest area and by 1PM it was 65. Winds were brisk and temps were falling...all the way to minus 13 overnight! Brrrr!

GomerPile
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 13:22

I use an EcoFan on my little stove and it helps warm up the drafty parts of the cabin. I think the place warms up a bit faster after a cold start too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HVHZBG/

aktundra
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 17:28

Depends on the temperature, wood, who's stoking the fire, who's cold, etc...

I have seen -30F to 50F in 2 hours! That's with a 55 gallon barrel stove cranking out the heat! Normally we see 20-30 degrees an hour depending on what wood we're burning.

The loft is always 20 degrees warmer (I need to put a window in) so the first night out to the cabin, I can go to sleep after 2 hours, since the loft is 70F.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 08:13

if its 40 degrees inside to start, 0 outside, it ttakes about 1 and a half hours to get to 90 inside, but then i am using small sticks to maximize combustable surface, they don't last long but generate a lot of heat, once its up to good temperatures i throw in the big pieces to maintain the temperatures.

when cutting firewood i use everything, big pieces, small sticks down o 1" diameter, the rotten stuff and very small stuff gets burned in a barrel to make charcoal for the forge

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 08:14

and leaves go into the compost piles for mulch compost

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.