Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove water heater
Rifraf
# Posted: 19 Jan 2013 23:21

Found this.. will take me a bit to make sense of it but the idea seems very interesting.

Anyone interested in making a more readable "plan" sheet from these instructions ?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/wood-stove-water-heater-zmaz76ndztak.as px

Martian
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 09:09

I've thought about doing something like this, but in my set-up, I wrapped the copper tubing around the outside of single wall pipe. While it isn't as efficient as having the plumbing inside the stovepipe, neither does it reduce the flue size or make it harder to clean the chimney.

The biggest drawback was having to locate the water heater/storage tank above the stove. It also needs to be fairly close to the stove or a lot of heat is lost. However, if I were off-grid, it would be well worth working through the challenges.

Tom

sparky1
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 09:31

For over 3 years Off grid,Before Electricity, i heated water,from a 5 Gallon bucket. pumped by a RV water pump into a 1/2" coil of copper pipe Laying up against, via straps covered with wall plaster to keep it warm,on my wood stove,into a old mobile home 30 gallon water heater,kinda closed loop- come back out of it once warmed, to my Shower,or sink to wash some dishes,Etc.via second pump,
keep water in the 5 gallon bucket,.and some in the tank-for use.
worked for me.
sparky1

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.