Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Best quality propane appliances?
glacierdigital
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 15:48

I figured this would be the place to ask this.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a cottage in the Kincardine, Ontario area for a few years but would like to stay off the grid (at least as much as possible.).

My grandfather has had a lot of luck with propane fueled... well... everything, however the company he bought his appliances from is long gone.

I found these guys: http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com/en-Ca/Home.html and so far I'm very pleased with the service and the pricing isn't too bad at all however, I'd like to shop around and see if anyone else has had any luck with a specific company.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 16:29

Interesting appliances but they won't sell them directly to you.I don't understand this.With today's global marketing through Ebay and Amizon,,,Why Not?

beachman
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 18:10

Try Ben's Discount Supply in Nevada. See www.bensdiscountsupply.com This where I got my stove and fridge and they were delivered to New Brunswick. A little steep in price but great quality stuff. I think I got my hot water heater through globaltowne - look in the web. I got my lights (Falks) and all my copper tubing and fittings from a local supplier. They even built me a black pipe manifold with regulator and twin hook ups for 100lb tanks.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 20:42

Just make sure they are CSA approved for Canada.

glacierdigital
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:18

Yeah, aren't there different regulations for different countries? The rep at Unique mentioned something about that.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:33

Our cabin neighbor's have a Unique either 15 or 18. They love it.
They leave it run for about 6 months of the year. It seems to use about 100lbs of propane every 3 months, which in our neck of the woods is about 1 dollar a day. Cheap for cold beer........ and food I guess.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:34

Yes in Canada it is illegal for a propane installer to hook up non CSA approved appliances your homeowners insurance policy would also be invalid. I sent a e mail a few years ago to Bens asking about CSA approved refrigerators they didn't sell them at the time. Maybe they do now.

beachman
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 17:09

Good points about CSA. I brought my stuff through the border using licensed brokers who, along with Ben, said that these would meet all Canadian standards. No problems with importation. The hookup was diy. If you have concerns, as I did, you can speak to Ben directly - see tel# on the website. I doubt if many of the woodsstoves on this site or their installation would be CSA approved. The appliances do work very well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.