Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Example of a Small Cabin Solar Setup for the Beginners
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Dillio187
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 09:15

no problem, you'll read heaps of praise for the Honda generators on here, and it's for good reason. They (along with the Yamaha generators) are worth every penny they cost.

DavidAlex
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 11:54

This is a great thread! I just registered so I could add to it. What's an elegant way to combine solar and generator power? Is there a patch panel, or is it best to just run seperate circuits?

Dillio187
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 12:36

use a transfer switch, that way you can select which circuits run from solar, and which run from the generator. Or, use the generator to recharge your battery bank

ATB
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 12:49

Great info do any of you folks that are weekenders ever have issue with the 24-7 locals making off with your $1k plus of solar stuff? The panels have to be out in the light to work so hard to lock down. Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 13:05

Quoting: DavidAlex
What's an elegant way to combine solar and generator power? Is there a patch panel, or is it best to just run seperate circuits?

IMO, it is best to use the generator to recharge batteries if necessary because the PV panels did not give a full charge. Then supply the AC to the cabin via an inverter. That eliminates the switching back and forth. To me that just adds complication.

Also, IMO, the happiest PV power users are those who size the system to ensure the solar does the recharging on any average day, and the batteries / inverter are sized to supply all the power needs. If done right the generator is simply a backup device.

YMMV

~~~~

Never had anything walk off, but then we are off by ourselves, away from public view. As insurance cameras will record any dirty deeds.

DavidAlex
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 14:26

I like the idea of charging the battery bank with the 12v output from the generator. Then if you need to power something with higher draw, you can just plug directly into the generator, right?

razmichael
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 14:41

I like the idea of charging the battery bank with the 12v output from the generator

I would be very careful with this as I do not think many of the generators provide the 12V output in any way designed to do a good job of charging expensive batteries (3 stage smart charging, maybe with an equalization function). Some more expensive inverters will include a smart charger and auto transfer switch - start the generator and the power supplied through the inverter switches to the generator source and a smart charger kicks in. I suspect (don't want to put words in his mouth) that mtndon was suggesting either a built in smart charger or connect a stand-alone smart charger to the 120 output of the generator.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 16:07

I like the idea of charging the battery bank with the 12v output from the generator.

You need 13-14V to charge 12V batteries.
If generator does not have a designated battery charging 13-14V output, you will need a separate charger, which takes generator's 110V and provides the proper charging voltage and current.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 18:42

Quoting: razmichael
I suspect (don't want to put words in his mouth) that mtndon was suggesting either a built in smart charger or connect a stand-alone smart charger to the 120 output of the generator.

Right on the money. An inverter / charger unit or a smart charger powered by the genny to charge the batteries.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 18:59

To expand on that thought a little.,... Once you get beyond the Bulk Stage (batteries approx 80% full) of charging a generator is making very poor use of the fuel being burned. And if you do not get a full charge into the battery regularly the life of the battery is shortened.

DavidAlex
# Posted: 20 Sep 2013 12:20

Got it, thanks. And if I'm reading your other threads correctly, a inverter/charger does most of the thinking for you, whereas separate units will require a transfer switch of some kind, right?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.