Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Question --MTN_Don
DaJTCHA
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 19:35

I finally splurged and purchased a Honda EU2000i generator and I've got a question please:

The generator (with the accessory wiring) features a 12volt 8AMP DC battery charging circuit. Let's just say that I wanted to top off my battery at camp that powers the small fans and DC LED lighting that I installed last year in the camper, but I want to be sure that I don't over charge my battery.

Is there a charge controller that you'd recommend that I could hook up the leads from the generator to and not have to worry about boiling off the battery or worse?

Thank you,
Dajtcha

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 19:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

If you have flooded lead-acid batteries a hydrometer is your best friend.

If you want to spend money on something a good charger that goes through the three stages of bulk, absorb and float would be a better buy than a charge controller, IMO. That would also give you more amperage than the 8 from the Honda if you ever had to re-charge a more depleted battery. Look into Iota Engineering chargers. One sized to about C/10 to C/8 max amps. (C = battery rated capacity; amp hours)

IIRC Honda recommends that for DC battery charging use, you should run the unit with the ECO turned OFF, that is the engine at full speed. If you use a battery charger plugged into the AC you can run the ECO system and the engine will use less fuel and make less noise as the battery gets fuller and fuller.

IMO.

GomerPile
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 21:26

I've tried to use the DC for charging on my EU2000 and it works but poorly. As the batteries reach any level of charge the current drops pretty low (as battery voltage rises). A 100ah battery charging at 2-3 amps would take 40 hours to charge! It also uses a ton of gas.

I use a sears 30 amp microprocessor controlled charger which seems to work well. Walmart sells a similar 30 amp unit that people have reported to work well.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 22:10

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I new MtdDon would be the first to reply and within minutes...whammo! LOL! I appreciate the help.

Dajtcha

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Feb 2013 17:35

I killed the 12 volt charging side of my honda.I don't know why it died so I just use a regular 120 volt dc charger for 12 volt batterys.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.