Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Turbine for our cabin.
Kharkov43
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 10:28

We have a 80 watt panel and we have a 60 watt on 4 separate panels. When the sun is bright I use the 80 watt I have it on a pole which I can turn with the sun during the day.and on cloudy days or a lot of people there I'll hook the 60 watt up to it to keep the batteries up. I have 3 deep batteries run in line. We use this to run our lights and we use energy efficient bulbs and run the satellite radio. Cabin is wired where we can hook up the generator to run heavy electrical stuff, Honda 3000.
My question is I want to get a turbine to run the system cause this coming winter we want to stay at the cabin cause where our cabin is there is not much sun and I need one strong enough for really cold temperatures.
Any ideal on one and size.

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 13:13

the small ones are largely a waste of time, you need unrealistic wind speeds to make them work.

There is a guy on the NAWS forum that runs his entire home from them during the winter, but he has several of them and the blade diameter is in the 10 foot range.

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 14:49

I have a friend who lives on the shore of Lake Ontario and he does get enough of a steady wind blowing off of the lake to power his 400 watt wind turbine.That keep's a 12 volt battery charged up for his use.If you have a good steady wind blowing during yourwinter months at your location,one of these might work for you.I don't think I have enough of a steady wind where I live,but I'm still gonna give it a try.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.