Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery Difference?
hitanktank
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 19:40

What is the diff between these 2 batteries other than amp hours, and which would be a better purchase--I am buying 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries>

Trojan Battery T105 > 6 volt 225 Amp Hour Flooded Battery $168.95

UBGC 6 Volt 200AH Sealed Lead Golf Cart Battery same price pretty much

darz5150
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 21:17

I believe that the flooded batteries are a bit more forgiving when it comes to charging etc. The sealed batteries can be used in any position and won't leak, but I have heard they are easier to damage than the flooded ones.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 15:04

Quoting: darz5150
I believe that the flooded batteries are a bit more forgiving

Not just a "little" more forgiving.... Overcharging a sealed battery will cause water loss that can not be replaced. Period!

Add to that IF the sealed battery in question is a Gel Cell and not an AGM, that battery will almost certainly have a different charge requirement that the flooded battery. That can also be the case with some AGM types.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 15:14

And don't forget that flooded batteries outgas explosive vapors during charging, where some of the gel-type are alleged not to be an explosion hazard (yet some of the later still have vents). I'd want good venting to the outdoors for either variety.

creeky
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 14:38

Flooded cell seem to be the standard for solar/off grid applications due to their ease of maintenance. but both batteries are 60 lbs +- and have equivalent amp hour capacity.
how are you charging them? if you use a good solar controller you shouldn't need to worry about overcharging.
personally I went flooded cell

Moving Pictures
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 17:54

the FLAs are a much better choice. They will last longer, can be equalized, maintained, etc.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.