Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 1500 Watt Inverter (Canadian Tire)
hitanktank
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 16:58

I just got a motomaster 1500 Watt Power Inverter from Canadian tire. It was regular 245.99 and is on sale this week for 94.99. Thats a ton of savings and thought I would pass this info on to other Canadians. Ive read mixed reviews about it but at that price I had to grab one.

Just
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 17:42

Good deal HIT .I have their 1000 model wish i could trade .that one should run a skil saw ,or a full size microwave

Dillio187
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 19:02

it's most likely a square wave or mod-sine wave. Should run most things fine but items like refrigerators, pumps, some radios don't like them or require more juice to run.

hitanktank
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 19:31

gonna buy a pure sine wave in the future, this was too good of a deal to pass up. Wont hurt to have an extra. Or I can sell it to someone on here for 150 dollars-lololollol

ah capitalism

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 10:55

Keep an eye on the Canadian Tire Flyer because they have a pure sine inverter they put on sale very regularly. It's a 1000watts and I bought it last year so I can use it to charge ipods, dvd player, the laptop if we bring it and other sensitive electronics. I can't remember how much I paid but I think around $150 and it was usually over $300.

Moving Pictures
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 17:18

You just bought a pile of junk. It's a modified sine-wave inverter, and its static draw is at least two amps - that's 576 watt-hours of power per day, down the toilet.

Just
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 17:48 - Edited by: Just

Moving Pictures
Not if you turn it off when not in use .It's all about choices .

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 17:55

Yo Pictures... how about a little sensativity. Maybe it doesn't fit your needs... but maybe it's perfect for Tank. As a wise friend once told me, "You have no right to complain about my choice of beer, until I ask you to pay for it."

hitanktank
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 18:52

lets just pretend moving pictures wasnt even here---no time for comments like that

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 19:41

Quoting: Moving Pictures
You just bought a pile of junk. It's a modified sine-wave inverter, and its static draw is at least two amps - that's 576 watt-hours of power per day, down the toilet.

Quoting: hitanktank
lets just pretend moving pictures wasnt even here---no time for comments like that

While it may not be the most diplomatic comment, it may have some accurate elements. IF it is true that the idle current draw is as much as stated, 2 amps, that is an unforgiving amount of wasted power.

And yes, if it is turned off when not in use that resolves the waste at the cost of inconvenience. But it is cheap and that's all he paid for it.

hitanktank
# Posted: 16 Feb 2013 20:05

its for using tools every so often and will not be on most of the time if that matters

I am buying a pure sine wave inverter specfiically for my sensitive electronic needs

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Feb 2013 01:48

Note tha tools with motors run hotter on modified sine (square) wave inverter power than they do on sine wave. They also use more lectricity on square wave. Make more noise and do not last as long. That goes for any motor on square wave.

Moving Pictures
# Posted: 17 Feb 2013 16:52

I'm also speaking from experience, because i had one, and it was draining the batteries. It took me some period of time to realize that even when it was turned off, it was still drawing current - and a fair chunk of current, too.

Canadian Tire is not a viable source for any off-grid, renewable anything.

The modified-sine is also not friendly for induction motors. That includes fridges, drills, saws, whatever.

Just
# Posted: 17 Feb 2013 19:36

hitanktank

I managed to stop that by a battery switch on the cabling going to the inverter.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 15:31

i'll throw in a vote for pure sine.

save your money. buy pure sine. my "professional" 30 minute battery charger toasted 2 perfectly good 18v drill batteries using a ct modified sine wave charger. that was a 250 drill. now a paper weight.

my pure sine charger cost 300 bucks back in the day. but it's on amazon for 179. Sunforce.

Trapper
# Posted: 18 Mar 2013 18:23

1000watt pure sine is on for half price at a Canadian Tire this week

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.