Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Bonding questions
buckeyebuck
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:41

I am going to use two Honda 2000i generators in parallel for our off grid cabin. Question 1: Are the Honda 2000i bonded? Question 2: in the cabin at the breaker box to bond it, all I need to do is screw in the green screw? I know you can only one bond in the system and at the breaker box would be the better of the two. In the wiring of the Honda wiring is it bonded?
Honda 2000i wiring:
Honda__Copy.PNG
Honda__Copy.PNG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:13

Generators are all plastic, you cant find metal to touch, no bonding needed there (all plastic by design, probably for this safety reason). Do your bonding at the panel would be my guess. My panel is bonded and I power it with my EU2000i

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:20

BY CODE you can only connect the neutral and ground in the system once. This should be done AT THE FIRST MEANS OF DISCONNECT.

In reality, bonding should be done at your first/main panel. You should also drive a ground rod and attach it both to the panel and to the generators. I say this because in the future, if you were ever to connect to grid power (which may or may not be a reality) you're already set up correctly. While bonding may in fact be done internally in the generator it is not realistically your first means of disconnect. The main breaker box is.

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:32

Quoting: buckeyebuck
In the wiring of the Honda wiring is it bonded?

I see the inverter is grounded to the frame of the chassis, You are going to need to use an ohmmeter to determine if there is a bond in the inverter

buckeyebuck
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 13:37

Thanks for the quick replies and infomation

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 17:36

Can't tell from your drawing whether the generators are bonded, but they should be. Bonding at the subpanel is not the best idea, but then at least you know you have the bond. I looked through the manual for my Briggs and Stratton gen set and they made it clear in the manual that neutral and ground are bonded in the generator itself. Have you read the manual carefully?

buckeyebuck
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 19:32

I called Honda and they said the 2000 was not bonded but will go through my manual again and see if I can find anything on bonding. Thanks for the info

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Mar 2013 14:33

The Honda is fully insulated by design, no bonding is needed. Bond at the panel.

buckeyebuck
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 15:59

Thanks toyota_mdt_tech

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.