Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Creek Fridge?
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 21:52

I have a spring fed creek, born 3 miles up the mountain. It stays super cold, even in July. My boy tried damming a section, more like playing in the water, and could not stand to wade in it for more than a minute at a time. I put the fridge thermometer in and it was high 30s at the warmest day.

Any good ideas on how to take advantage of this? Maybe a galvanized box with a lid submerged 3/4 way in?

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 22:08

I'm doing that, with galvanized box. I's a good way, lucky you, I have high40s.

If you are going to leave stuff in there for months......put the aluminum cans in a plastic bag. If aluminum cans touch the galvanized, it will eat a little hole in the Aluminum can, you have to prevent contact.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 08:39

How about using some sort of insulated box (maybe an old fridge/freezer) and pump the cold water into it through some sort of radiator setup inside. You could use a cheap, homemade hydraulic ram pump and run through hoses into a homemade pvc radiator (or a repurposed car radiator) for very little money. It could make it more convenient to not have to wade into the water to your submerged fridge.

Brknarow
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 14:16 - Edited by: Brknarow

Wow, that's off-grid gold. Back in 'the day' they built springhouses over those. Of course it would depend on your
layout I'm sure, but it's something you may want to look into.

fish
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 15:19

If it's at any inclined angle (the spring), I would put a cone of some sort in the water and gravity pump that cold water into a coil or something in an insulated box to keep it cool/cold without being submerged and dump it back into the spring.

With gravity, you wouldn't need any electricity to keep this system going.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 22:22

Unfortunately, it's a pretty level run of water, so gravity is not on my side. I've researched a little into hydro ram pumps, but I think you need a bit of a drop for them to work well. The source of the spring doesn't originate on my land, rather a bit up the mountain. Ill research into what a spring house is.

johng
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 08:31 - Edited by: johng

A spring house is a small structure built next to and lower than the stream.
Divert water via a trough or pipe to the structure where it flows into a trough and out the other side. The trough inside the structure is your fridge.

johng
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 08:44

It's an underground room off the kitchen(right back corner). The concrete trough runs along 3 walls with hooks for hanging meats and cheese from the ceiling. Even on the hottest summer days the temperature inside the walk in cooler stays cold.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 10:53

Thanks john, that is easily doable on my site.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.