Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Winter infrequent use
Annalynn
# Posted: 16 Mar 2013 12:06

I have a cabin and for summer we are all set for water. I do use the cabin a little in the winter and I have no water source at that time of year. Been thinking to catch rain/roof melt into a below grade tank (to protect it from freezing). Any experience with that? What volume is recommended? How to pump it and control the flow? Maybe an RV pump system?

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Mar 2013 14:19

Putting your water tank in the ground is a good idea.Your using the natural 52 degrees of the earth's surface to keep it from freezing.If you use a 12 volt pump,you could have it set up with a suction hose/outet hose that you can just pull out and bring it inside or take it home with you.versus trying to drain every thing down for freezing temp's.What do plan on having in your cabin that needs to be hooked up to water?

Just
# Posted: 18 Mar 2013 16:15

A 12 volt bilge pump in the underground tank will never freeze, if you drill a 1\8 hole in the line just above the pump it will drain the whole cabin automatic. Put on your hat and go home ,,,,,,

Annalynn
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 05:24

Just: Thanks for the feedback. Never thought about the 1/8 hole for auto draining. I guess the only price paid for that is a little less pressure and volume plus the short delay on the supply when demand is switched on.
Ray: we have a sink only now but are planning a low volume bath in the future, (my wife hate the outhouse, especially in the winter).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.