Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water well died, stream water to the rescue
groingo
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 00:11 - Edited by: groingo

My well water has been progressively dirtier over the years and now it
is just brown water, the well guy said simply that the water table is changing and collapsing so I have been taking all my water from the stream and boiling any and all drinking water to be safe but have been looking at other alternatives like UV but in the end boiling seems to be most effective, anyone else have any experience in this area?

Also went back on grid as the fuel costs have risen to the point where it is no longer cost effective.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 00:32

You may just have to have your well drilled deeper. I know several whos water well was not keeping up after a while.

groingo
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 01:55

They mentioned that but warned me in my area it is pretty much a crap
shoot that because of unusually high number of earth tremors (due to Fort Lewis incessant practicing with high explosives) any new well or well extension will likely fail in less than a year so they recommend just keep using the stream and keep on doing what I am until the Fort settles down.

rayyy
# Posted: 31 Mar 2013 18:13

I pump water out of a creek that run's through my property.Only when the creek is running clean,though.(not muddy or green algie)My sump pump that I use is inside a 3 gallon bucket with a poly fiber filter over the top of it.The water is filtered through that right there at the stream befor it get's pumped into my tank.I then treat the 250 gallons of water with 8 ounces of clorine.I don't use this water for cooking or drinking,I have a Berkey water filtering set up for that.I also bring home water from work.This Berkey filtering system is what the millitary uses.It will filter out the worst of water conditions.It's slow and limited in how much you can make,but produces safe,clean water.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.