Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / cost of doing solar powering
Goatman
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 10:15

Just wondering the cost of setting up solar panels on for say a 20x30 cabin?

MJW
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 10:26

The set up we are doing is going to run about 10k and will produce about 12kw a day.

Shop around. The prices will vary...ALOT.

WY_mark
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 10:28

I'm looking at $8-11k for a 3000wat system for my 20x30 cabin.

Goatman
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 10:40

what would I need to say run regular house stuff? We will probably stay here 6 months outta the year if not more the way we hunt and fish

groingo
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 10:58

First thing to find out is how much direct sunlight do you have to work with year round season to season that can make a huge difference in the overall cost then how much power will you really need and how much can you get by with, then add fifty percent to the power requirement and then you might have a semi realistic picture of how much solar you need.

VC_fan
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 11:14

Please don't chastise me for not knowing the details, but keep in mind with solar that your fellow taxpayers will pick up a big chunk of the tab for installations. There are federal incentives and also incentives in many states. Check into the details before you count on it, but last time I looked into it roughly 50% of the cost was reimbursed as a tax credit.

Goatman
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 11:28

was just looking for a way to get power out there. Even though I do have electric access.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 14:02

My 2 cents, There is no watts or $$ per sq foot rule. No rule of thumb as our thumbs are all different sizes. It hinges on two major things, IMO.

1. how much it will cost to get power connected from the power company to the cabin wall or the power pole.

2. how much power you will need... that takes a little effort writing down all the uses, the length of time of use x watts for each item. That tells you the battery capacity needed. Then the battery capacity tells you how many watts of PV panels, per your sunshine at the worst time of year that the cabin would be used.

Often the best $$ value is connecting to the grid if the power company is close by, especially if you can do work yourself. You don't get the satisfaction of energy Independence but sometimes that is costs a lot.

We have a workable PV system for $8800, but it's part time use. Full time use I'd say I'd need to have more capacity or be running the darn generator. Power company connection was many times that amount.

Federal Tax credits are 30% on PV systems and components. Your state might have a state sales tax emption on solar as well; not all do though., no maximum. That's for everything from the PV panels to the usual service entrance panel.

WY_mark
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 16:21

FYI, last I've checked tax credits are 30% off of the *installed* cost. the good news is that it's a bottom line deduction. the bad news is that you'll have to pay the whole cost up front and then wait to take the deduction AND you can't deduct more than you owe. if you only owe $3k but you qualify for a $5k deduction you're only getting you $3k.....of course I'm no tax attorney and you should ask your accountant.

VC_fan
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 16:57

Again, I think it's a credit as opposed to a deduction. Big difference. Credit is money in your pocket.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 17:20 - Edited by: ICC

Yes, of course you have to pay the entire cost up front. However, the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit can get you a refund. Excess carries over to the next tax year. Been there, done it. Check all the details with the IRS or a tax attorney.

to quote the website http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US37F

"A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling unit located in the United States that is owned and used as a residence by the taxpayer. Expenditures with respect to the equipment are treated as made when the installation is completed. If the installation is at a new home, the "placed in service" date is the date of occupancy by the homeowner. Expenditures include labor costs for on-site preparation, assembly or original system installation, and for piping or wiring to interconnect a system to the home. If the federal tax credit exceeds tax liability, the excess amount may be carried forward to the succeeding taxable year. The excess credit may be carried forward until 2016, but it is unclear whether the unused tax credit can be carried forward after then. The maximum allowable credit, equipment requirements and other details vary by technology, as outlined below."

"
There is no maximum credit for systems placed in service after 2008.
Systems must be placed in service on or after January 1, 2006, and on or before December 31, 2016.
The home served by the system does not have to be the taxpayer's principal residence.
"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.