Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Off grid hot water tank life
yankeesouth
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 10:02

I have a few questions about off grid water and hot water tanks/heaters. For those of you who don't treat your water through a softener/sand/salt or like process....do you do anything special to prolong the life of your hot water tank ....that is if you have one? I guess I am looking for something fairly simple and inexpensive......homemade even!

I have a well.....water is usually good and clear but nonetheless it's iron based well water. It gets filtered through a sediment filter before entering the tank. I know straight well water cannot be good for the heating elements in a water tank.Other than seasonally draining the tank are there any other steps I can take to prolong the life of the hot water tank?

Just
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 10:40

Depending on the well some water makes tank type heaters last longer .I am on well water and have had a 40 galon tank for 35 years i do understand that demand water heaters will plug up quickly with well water.so the thing to do is ask a neighbour, they will know ..

sparky1
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 11:39

1, Change the Anode rod in your (Water Heater) every few years
2. Monthly drain off the dirt/lime from the (Water Heater)

yankeesouth
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 12:11

Thanks. I figured there was no miracle solution....I was just wondering if anyone had some success with tips or tricks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.