Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Anyone use a stand by generator (entire home) like Generac that is powered by propane?
justincasei812
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 16:03

I use a Honda 5000w genny for power at my off grid cabin. It is hard wired into a panel and runs everything within the cabin. I was wondering if anyone here has used or thought of using a home back-up generator 8kw or so for their cabin. If so is it economical compared to running a gas engine genny. Right now I spend about $40-$50 on average per weekend (winter months) for gas in the 5000w genny. I did notice that the noise level is much lower on some models compared to what I use now.

Carla_M
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 18:02 - Edited by: Carla_M

I have friends with one of these
http://www.generac.com/Residential/EcoGen_Series/Product/6kW/ It's made specifically for off grid frequent use. It charges a battery bank of 8 x 6 volt batteries with an Outback inverter-charger. It's all automatic. No PV panels as they are in a canyon that sees little direct sunshine. I don't know how much propane it uses though, but it does the job for many tens of thousands less than a power grid connection. Generator is quiet and only runs whenver the batteries get low. Couple that with some PV if there is useable sunshine and it runs even less.

justincasei812
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 20:07

I looked at this one right before I posted. I was curious about this one since it was for more of an off grid use but I do not have a battery bank for solar or wind. One thing I did read was that the computer system runs down the on board battery every few days and the generator would need to start up and charge that battery. That seems to be wasteful of propane IMO. This one is quiet though with a 52 dB(A) and 500 hours between oil changes.

I also read that this unit is for basically charging batteries for the alternative power source and if you use it as a primary source it will void the warranty.

Thanks for the reply though, I guess what I could do is buy a bank of batteries and use the genny to recharge them.

grayclan
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 20:53

I have an Onan CCK 5 KW that is gas or propane. It is set for propane and uses a 100 lb tank in 28 to 33 hours. I have to load the tanks in a boat then unload by myself and it started to be a pain and expensive so I set up a pelton wheel and when the creek dries I charge my batteries with solar and a Honda 2000 watt generator. I flash up the Onan if I need 220 for welding or to run a winch that my Honda will only run sometimes. After fuelling the Honda using a boat gas tank for an auxillary I use it for a week or more with 5 gal. The Onan is a great machine and when I need it I know that I don't have to worry about old gas and jet problems.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 21:54

IMO, PV panels is the way to go for recharging batteries.

Also, IMO, running a generator as the sole source of power is wasteful of fuel, unless a small Honda will do it and even then if only run a couple hours a day.

The Generac with batteries, at least 24 volt is better than a generator only, also IMO

The Generac does use some power to maintain the electronics, so will run every so often to maintain the charge. IMO, the Generac with batteries and at least a small PV panel and controller to maintain the batteries makes for a pretty good system if you do not want to have a larger PV array.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2013 00:54

I'm a survivalist, I have a Honda EU6500is wired into my house. Runs absolutely everything I have, just not all at the same time. Electric dryer, rand, oven, cook top, electric hot water... And with ease on "eco mode" too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.