Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / believe it or not.. issues with honda i2000
optimistic
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 20:53

I bought it used about 4 months ago. I just started using it the other weekend. I changed its oil (to synthetic), put in a new spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and put in fresh fuel. It worked flawlessly until today.

I was cutting some playwood with my circular saw (13amp bosch) and it worked well when all of a sudden the saw stopped working. I thought it was the saw but then I realized that the overload light is on. I shot down the generator and started it again after a few minutes. I then tried the saw again but it will just not run it and the light will turn on.

Now, this even gets worse. I rented a floor buffer - 850w. It wouldn't run it as well - same issue- it will start and then shot down while that light is on - overload. I looked at the manual and it says to take it to a dealer.

Anyone had this happen? I thought I bought the king of generator but maybe the king is naked.

GomerPile
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 21:27 - Edited by: GomerPile

Let unit fully cool, verify oil level, turn Eco throttle off and start it with no AC devices plugged in. If it runs and no red light, plug in a small lamp, if that works then plug in a small space heater or hair dryer. Those are non-inductive loads that will always work. If possible, attach about 1700 watts worth of hair dryer, toaster, lamps, etc and make sure the unit powers them for 5 minutes or so.

If you cant pass this test without overloading then something's wrong.

For the record my eu2000 powers dewalt skill saw, 10 inch table saw, and 12 inch chop saw. In fact it powers the 12 inch chop saw and a 500 watt construction light at the same time with some dimming on startup. It can also run a pancake compressor effortlessly. The EU2000 is a really great generator, but sometimes things break.

optimistic
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 09:08

I did turn it off and still it won't work. The buffer is only 8.5amp....

It worked perfectly and then boom - nothing. I really believe something is wrong with it.

GomerPile
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 11:45

Your buffer is an inductive load....you need to eliminate that as a variable before jumping to the conclusion someting is wrong. It may well be blown up...but why not be sure?

optimistic
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 14:56

I just got back from a honda dealer (per their site)... the guy says that 90% the inverter is dead which means the generator is dead... He said he can run a diagnostic on it ($100) but that he is 90% sure.

I didn't leave it there.

This is such a heartache

rayyy
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 16:27

I'm sorry to hear this,Opt.That is strang for a honda.Mine has gone dead 2 times now for no reason at all.On each case,I let it just sit and cool off for a while.The first time it took an hour to get it going again.Second time,would not start.I checked the plug,checked the oil.Keep pulling the recoil rope with out chokeing it to much,finally fired up.I think maybe a slug of water in the gas line.(I Hope!)I'm gonna try some drygas.

GomerPile
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 16:28

That sucks. The inverter board is $380-$423 available several places:

http://planopower.com/store/honda/eu2000i.php
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/honda-power-equipment-inverter-unit-31310-z07-c34 -part.html

If you decide its not worth the hassle to fix it, I might be interested in buying it from you....provided the motor runs.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 17:50

My Skil worm saw would pop it off also, if I didnt let it spool up before getting into the wood. The buffer uses too much power/load. Try taking it off eco mode too.

optimistic
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 20:47

Interesting update. I fired it up again in my backyard - took off the eco (I also did it in the cabin to no avail) and ran an angle grinder off it (5.5amp).. Worked. Next I tried my compressor (10amp) and it worked again. I then tried my belt sander 6.2amp... All worked (separately of course). I think I just overloaded it....

Another thing I noticed is that it smells a bit from either gas or oil.. I think I added too much oil because after letting run for only a few seconds - and then shutting it off and opening the oil cap: oil started to pour out. So I know it expands in heat but still. So I let it run out a bit, cleaned it, and closed. Is this wrong?

GomerPile
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 21:16

If you filled it on an uneven surface it could have a bit too much in there. Put it on a level surface and check it. Should not hurt anything.

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 21:26

a lot of power tools will trip the generator. Their start up surge is what overloads it, and if you're running it, and you load it, blam, tripped breaker.

Alaskaman
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 15:47

Every used generator I ever bought turned out to be a POS. I bought my Yamaha brand new after going through 3 other used units and it has been great. I had to work out some moisture venting issues when I ran it for long periods at -40°. Most people sell thier used gennies for a reason and usually when they realize it is on it's last leg.

Truecabin
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 16:52

Some people sell their generator because it sat un-used, and others sell it to get a bigger one. I bought mine from a seller who had it around for power outages (un-used) for 20 years then inherited one with electric start. And others are selling someone else's generator. Lots of POS out there I bet the hondas are mostly good.

optimistic
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 17:05

I want to use my circular saw again but I am afraid hurting the generator.

two things -

1. how do I check the saw itself to make sure it is not struggling and therefore needing too much power?

2. Can I get something for the generator to protect it so it doesn't overload again?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 17:58

The generator has built in protection. That is why it shuts down the AC/inverter if its overloadded.

optimistic
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 18:00

Is there anything extra I can do?

Dillio187
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 05:25

cut slowly. Don't shove the saw through the wood. You'll soon learn the sounds the saw will make when it starts to get loaded too much.

You won't hurt the generator. I run my circular saw a bit on my EU1000i, and while it's a bit of a chore, it does work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.