Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Experiences with 110 deep well pumps
MJW
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 22:27

We have a well pump installer coming out this week to install our new well pump.

As our solar installation has been delayed for a while and I already have a pair of Honda EU2000s, I was hoping to be able to avoid the purchase of another, larger generator simply to operate a well pump for a few minutes a day. I asked the pump guy about 110 options that my Honda could run and was pleasantly surprised to discover that there are several choices for a 110 pump that will work for our deep well.

We decided on a pump that will deliver 5 - 7 gallons a minute needing only 7 amps to run and 10 amps at start up.

What was really amazing to me was that this pump can be had for the same cost as the regular 220 1 horse pumps that are usually installed and carry the same 5 yr warranty.

I was wondering if anyone else here has used these pumps and what their experiences were?

Rpritch01
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 22:37

What pump you looking at and what's your well depth??? I am looking at placing well this summer and know I will prob need a deep well pump... I am hoping to be able to run off grid...

Just
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 22:45

Is that a submersable pump, if so i have had one in a 170 foot well with a static depth of 60 ft, it was a 220v pump but worked well.. they are very dependable pumps.

sparky1
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 08:15

Water Ace sell 115 V.Ac 1/2 HP Deep Well Pumps, here's the model # R200A-02 ,,,,I found it thru Surplus Center Web site.
I bought one---haven't used it yet. $171 delivered to my place.

GomerPile
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 09:09

A popular choice for people on PV systems is the Grunfos SQ series:

http://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html

These are soft start pumps which allows them to be run from an inverter. Since the EU2000 is an inverter....

wakeslayer
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 11:11

We have a 110V pump in our well, it is 225-250 feet deep. It then feeds several hundred feet uphill to our holding tank. I run it off the 30A twist lock outlet, non-eco throttle mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea what pump it is. My receipt is at the cabin...

MJW
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 19:38 - Edited by: MJW

Quoting: wakeslayer
We have a 110V pump in our well, it is 225-250 feet deep. It then feeds several hundred feet uphill to our holding tank. I run it off the 30A twist lock outlet, non-eco throttle mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea what pump it is. My receipt is at the cabin...

wakeslayer, your system sounds exactly like what I would like to have set up.

Drilling the well and using the Honda to run the pump is what we want to do but ideally, I would like a situation where we run the pump once every few days to fill a holding tank of 200 - 300 gallons. This would be much more convenient than powering up the generator multiple times a day when you want water.

The 45 gallon pressure than we currently have scheduled to be installed only has a 12 gallon draw before the pump has to start.

Can you tell me exactly how you have your system set up?

Anyone else with this type of system I would love to hear your comments as well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.