Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Jotul 602 recommendation needed
tcmatt
# Posted: 13 Apr 2013 20:00

Does anyone have any experience with these? I found one in great shape on Craigslist for$250.

Dillio187
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 09:14

they are great stoves. Like most used stoves, check it over well. Door gaskets, firebrick condition etc

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 15:54

On any used woodstove carefully inspect all the castings for cracks, and inspect the bottom for burnout cracks. It's probably an EPA certified stove, but if you plan to instal it with a permit you will need to prove that to the inspector. Most certified stoves, maybe all, have a brass plate that gives the info.

Jotul is top quality. Why so cheap? Is it old and damaged? Need repair?

Hick
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 18:39 - Edited by: Hick

My wife and I have a older Jotul F3 in our cabin. We love it. You can get most of the parts from the website.
Jotul F3
Jotul F3
Jotul F3 with fire
Jotul F3 with fire

tcmatt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 20:15

bldginsp
I'm not sure the sellers know its value. the listing says that the stove was in their house when they bought it, that the previous owners used it but that her husband is allergic to wood smoke so they're selling it. It's a 2 hour drive, but I got her down to $200, and if it checks out okay, then its mine come this Wednesday. Looks great form the pictures.
wish me luck.
Matt

tcmatt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 20:24

from the ad...
Jotel_602.jpg
Jotel_602.jpg

Hick
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:04

Looks nice. How big is the cabin you are going to put it in? You can replace the rope seal on the door if it is torn.

tcmatt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:05

Hick,
very small - 12 x 16 with a 12/12 pitch and a loft. insulated.

matt

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:26

You're probably getting a $1000 stove for $200- cant beat that!!!

Looks nice too- I'd be jealous except my Morso Squirrel is a very good unit and has a glass door so you can see the fire

tcmatt
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:33

bldginsp,
I noticed the new models have glass in the door. I'm going to see if they are interchangable with the older doors and how much they cost.

CaptainJ
# Posted: 30 Apr 2013 00:18

I have a 602 and heat my 14X36 cabin with it. No problems it does a great job. Sometimes too great, I have to open windows to let the excess heat out! One thing it is VERY picky on log length. Nothing over 16" will fit 16 1/4" and the door won't close. Not a problem as I cut most of my own wood but if I buy it especially from most wood dealers, I end up cutting some of it in half since they usually don't pay much attention to length. I found one who will 'short cut' wood for me at no extra charge and I usually end up with more wood than if I'd taken his 'regular' stock cut wood. New 602's sell between $950 - 1100 so this is a great deal!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 30 Apr 2013 09:33

You are stealing that stove. Looks in great shape.
We have a Jotul woodburner in our cabin and a small propane Jotul in our bunkhouse. You will love it.

tcmatt
# Posted: 30 Apr 2013 10:34

I got it a week or so ago. The internal plates were cracked and there was a hairline crack in the back plate. The top plate is in from the local Jotul dealer ($65) and I'll be making new internal plates (including a back internal plate) from 3/8 steel. Total, i'll be out about $300, but still a good deal.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.