Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Different Water Heat Idea
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 13 Apr 2013 22:22

I've heard of people storing water in black plastic barrels in full sun light as a way to warm up water. From there, I've heard of guys using like an ecotemp to raise the heat to shower temperature.

I have a 6x6 double pained window. What if I were to build a small insulated shelter with the window mounted on an angle towards the sun. Inside said small shelter is an undetermined, maybe 20 gallon black plastic water tank. Cars get hotter than blazes. Do you think this in itself could cook the water to 100 degrees?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 13 Apr 2013 22:32

And, I know this woodstove idea has already been discussed, but here is a good diagram...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/woodstove-water-heating.aspx?page=3#axz z2QOu0JLx8

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:03

I bet your idea to make a little greenhouse would work well, of course, only when the sun was on it. I remember someone doing something similar and putting big chunks of iron in it painted black. Idea was they would absorb a lot of heat. But that was for heating a work space, they had vent ducting leading from there to the space below. Didn't work very well. I would cover the back of the greenhouse with reflective material, angled toward the water tank or drum, like those solar ovens. Don't count on hot water on cloudy days or after October 15th.

Me, I'll stick to my Coleman campers hot water heater til l finish my cabin

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 21:49

Hi BadgersHollow.good to see u neighbor.we live by u.
well i like my idea.just put my solar shower in the sun.hot water comes forth.i am taking milk jugs filled with water this time to the woods and putting them in the sun for hot water to do dishes to save propane for washing dishes.
i was looking up growing seasons for our area.i found out it has like 12 days of no chance of frost.
it will be interesting to hear what u come up with on the challenges of the land since we are conquering or trying to conquer the same challenges.
i lke your idea.anything is worth a shot.good luck.keep us posted.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.