Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / question about windmill?
steveup north
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 22:27

Long time reader, first time posting.I own a cabin in Northern Ontario which is off grid, I am thinking about getting a system which can generate 1200w. I was looking for some opinions on this idea,electrical is not one of my strong suits,but was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar setup.The cabin is on a lake which is in a valley,never really paid that much attention to how much wind we actually get there. I would be primarily looking to charge the batteries for my boat,some lights at night and possibly a small bar fridge.I realize this is kind of vague but just looking for some feedback.I will post some pics of my place soon( when one of my daughters is home to help)thanks

Martian
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 12:43

Steve, check to see what your avg wind, speed and frequency, is. You will need to mount it 20-30 feet above the trees, too. It could be an expensive way to charge things. Would solar work?

Tom

steveup north
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 17:54

The system is $700 dollars,the cost of solar is too expensive right now(1 kid in college,another in ayear).My other option is a honda generator for around $1100, the idea was to reduce the $$ spent on gas.If the system isn't good enough to meet my needs ,then it is pointless spending the money!

Martian
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 20:11

Have you looked at this wind map to see what your wind potential? http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Renewable/2ColumnSubPage/276957.html

Tom

GomerPile
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 20:28

I'd be interested in what kind of wind system you would get for only 700 bucks? Most wind systems need storage batteries for when there is no wind. I find it hard to imagine getting a turbine, charge controller, batteries, inverter for that price.

It may be rated 1200w but at what speed? How often will it run at that speed? Refrigeration is a tough thing to power off grid....it always needs power that your system may or may not be providing. Without a good battery monitor you will damage batteries by discharging too deeply.

OTOH Here's a very good solar system that should deliver 20AH per day and then some if you have good sun:
- 2x100 watt panels, $250
- xantrex C40 charge controller, $150
- 2x100AH deep cycle marine batteries, $150
- xantrex linklite system monitor $175
- big ass fuse $65
- Morningstar 300w sine wave inverter $275
- QO series load center with 2 breakers $80
- Misc wire $50

That's about 1200 bucks. To get rolling, you can start without the system monitor and only one panel. Pick a cheaper inverter and you are well under your $700 wind machine. At least with solar you get something every day...cloudy days not so much, but you do harvest something.

Note: some will question using deep cycle marine batteries. I have a set that is 3 years old and still fine. If you try to limit the discharge to 10 percent even deep cycle marine batteries last.

steveup north
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 22:09

that price was not including the batteries, I already have 3 of those for the boat.I currently have a generator (sounds like a lawnmower) that I have to run well into the night to charge the batteries.I'm just trying to keep the noise level down,afterall i'm there for the peace and quiet!!!!Thx for the feedback. Would 2 100 W panels charge those batteries on a daily basis?

GomerPile
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 06:07 - Edited by: GomerPile

I have 140 watts of pv panel and 200ah of battery and I can use 10ah+ per day without any problem (my sun is limited by trees). I think 200w of pv and better sun, you could use 20ah per day. A C40 charge controller should handle at least 400w of panel,....expansion is possible.

If your fridge is not designed for off grid use...get one that is or you can build one out of a chest freezer. Big power savings to be had.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.