Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Skip the battery
mojo43
# Posted: 7 May 2013 11:56

Is there a way that I can connect a solar panel to a 120 volt plug so that I can charge things like a laptop or say a battery charger with 4 AA batteries?

I am wondering if it is possible to skip the battery in the solar equation and go directly to the battery of the unit that I would like to charge?

Thanks in advance...

rayyy
# Posted: 7 May 2013 12:20 - Edited by: rayyy

Sorry mojo,you can't.All charging systems,whether their a generator,alternator,solar or wind powered need to be able to put that little trickle charge into a storage battery of some sort.From there you can power up somthing from a steady supply of current.An inverter will turn that dc power into ac power to run small,household 120 volt stuff.I use a 12 volt car charger right off my batteries to charge up my cell phone.Picture a battery as a storage box for electricity.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 May 2013 13:47

Mojo,

It is possible to charge AA's directly from a solar panel. Think solar lawn lights. It is best to use a charge controller circuit to get the correct charge on batteries and not overcharge them.

My cheap Harbor Freight charge controller has several DC voltages out so one may charge via a USB port (e.g. phone) or a 12 volt car-type output.

If the sun goes behind the clouds, your power drops too, so this is where a battery helps fill in the gaps.

If the solar panel was of sufficient wattage and it was sufficiently sunny, I don't see why you couldn't directly power a similar or lesser wattage inverter for 120V AC out, but you'll have the same limitations if the sun gets obscured.

mojo43
# Posted: 8 May 2013 11:59

I guess I am looking for something a hub that would be able to charge the batteries of different units. I have seen the ones on amazon that charge via usb, but I haven't seen any battery chargers and laptop chargers that would be able to charge this way....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.