Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / revisiting cistern ideas
WY_mark
# Posted: 9 May 2013 11:55

Hey everyone.
I've pretty much written off the idea of a well. we'll have to go so deep and our area is spotty for successful wells anyway. I have a quote for a 1500 gallon cement cistern installed with shallow well pump and pressure vessel for $5-6k. Where we are water delivery will be $130 for 1450 gallons. not bad.
one thing that occurs to me is that I don't really want to wait till the cistern is all the way empty to have a delivery, but I also don't want to pay $130 for a delivery and then only get 800gal or so. the option is full truck or nothing. we do not have a feasible option to transport the water ourselves (both don't have a vehicle/tank AND anything we can get would require 6-8 trips which outweighs the cost of delivery).
I'm told that 1500gal is the biggest pre-cast we can get and the installer says plastic is a bad idea. I'm curious on your thoughts for getting more like 2000-2500 gal. I've read some topics on people burying above ground ranch tanks, but I'd like to use a proper in-ground solution. particularly something that doesn't have to remain half full to prevent collapse.
Also, I'm told that the proposed cistern is just concrete - designed for water, but not epoxy coated. thoughts here good or bad?

thanks for your ideas.

Steve961
# Posted: 10 May 2013 16:00

Mark:

That price seems very high to me. For example, I can get a 1,000 gallon cement tank delivered to my property for $950. The increase in cost from a 750 to 1,000 is only $50, so I cant imagine that a 1,500 gallon tank would be much more. I can also get a 1/2 HP shallow well pump and 30 gal. pressure tank for around $400. Figure a few hundred more for miscellaneous pipe, and you should be able to build one for around $2K.

creeky
# Posted: 11 May 2013 08:49

http://www.ntotank.com/begrwata.html

a 1450 gallon below ground tank is 1139 dollars. Now you need a pump, some fittings and a hole in the ground.
installation instructions are on the page.
good luck.

Martian
# Posted: 11 May 2013 09:18

Concrete is a poor choice for a cistern. Algae will grow on the sides. I suggest getting a plastic cistern.

Tom

WY_mark
# Posted: 13 May 2013 08:39

the cistern will be filled with chlorinated city water, algae shouldn't be an issue. I've not known any one surface to be better or worse for algae - it's sun and water treatment.

thanks for the info, I thought the price was feeling high.

WY_mark
# Posted: 13 May 2013 08:43

looking at those plastic tanks, aside from having very little info, some say "tank can be burried up to 28" deep" - I've got a 4' frost line. anyone knwo of plastic tanks that won't crush under a bigger load of dirt? how bout any that can be drained mostly empty and not crush?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.