Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New Rain Water Cistern
mjmmessina
# Posted: 14 May 2013 09:29

Here is a new rain water cistern I created at my rural cabin. I used gutter guard and a first flush system to keep water clean. We plan on hooking up a on demand water pump to supply sink and shower with water.
water_system_2.jpg
water_system_2.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 May 2013 10:12 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Here's my setup with an outdoor sink. My barrels came from a soft drink bottler ($5 US each) and for the longest time our shower water smelled a bit like "Mello Yellow" We wash up a bit at this sink first and apply hand sanitizer inside.

The downspout filter system was a Chase Visa reward. It works pretty well.

I like your exit pipe redirecting overflow. I may copy that...
Outdoor sink with picture pump
Outdoor sink with picture pump

mjmmessina
# Posted: 14 May 2013 10:18

How has the water quality been for you? From my readings, it seems if you keep most of the debris out of the tanks the water stays pretty clean?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 May 2013 10:38 - Edited by: SE Ohio

We don't drink the barrel water, but we've washed with it without treating the water. I do add a bit of bleach to it on occasion the white barrel grows some algae (will paint it this summer, that'll slow the growth). Also, our pump dip tube is a good 8" from the barrel bottom to keep away from the accumulated debris/sludge. There is a slight hydrogen sulfide smell to the water, but my wife always smells better after the shower than before

mjmmessina
# Posted: 14 May 2013 10:50

ok, thanks for the info.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.