Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / RV System for water
Smawgunner
# Posted: 14 May 2013 14:19

I'm sure this has been covered but the search would not hold "RV" (too small). Our cabin has a creek running by it that we can tap into for water. The thought was to put a system in the cabin like an RV would have,...but I don't know what all components (heater, valves, traps, pumps etc.) are involved. Can someone educate me? The reason I'm looking at an RV type is that I *think* it's simplified and can be winterized with antifreeze fairly easily. Luckily, our landscape is very steep and I'm sure I can get pressure from water that runs and pools above the cabin. I'm trying to run a stand up shower and sink. I will have electricity to the cabin also. Thoughts?? Pictures or links would be great too!

ICC
# Posted: 14 May 2013 15:12

0.43 psi per foot of elevation of the water pool/tank supply. you will likely want a pump like an RV uses. 20 psi is more or less the minimum for supply pressure.

RV's will have a water supply tank, a pump, a water heater and the sink and shower. toilet. Google RV water heater and RV water pump. Heaters are Sunburban or Atwood and pumps are Shurflo and Flojet for the big names.

Is the creek water safe?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 14 May 2013 15:39

I would not drink it but it's all run off from the top of our property. It's a long draw and flows most of the year unless it's really really dry. Thanks for the info!

Allen

Just
# Posted: 14 May 2013 16:08

If you are going to have grid electricity, it would be better and cheaper to use a 110 volt shallow well jet pump system and a wall mounted 110 heater. That way you will not need a 12 volt power supply in the cabin, RV stuff is all 12 volt. You will also have higher pressure and more volume . not that a 12 volt system will not work..! have one and it works great , but if I had a 110 source I would go with that ..

sparky1
# Posted: 21 May 2013 10:57

here's one ,that might help;
RV_water_system_diag.png
RV_water_system_diag.png

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.