Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Grass Killer
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 17 May 2013 22:07

I was wondering if anyone knew of a product sort of like Roundup that kills everything, except maybe it comes in a granular form so you could put it in a broadcast spreader? What I'm looking to do is kill all the weeds and grass currently growing in the road that goes down to my cabin. The old man who usually mows this area had a heart attack and is convalescing and can't do it and mowing it frequently is not really in the cards for me so I was wondering if there were a way to kill it so it wasn't 3 feet high every time I go to the land.

Any ideas?

Popeye
# Posted: 18 May 2013 09:44

I'm not aware of any post-emergent granular herbicides.

I would use a backpack sprayer, glysophate 41%, and ammonium sulfate. Glysophate is the active ingredient in Roundup and 41% is the strongest concentration. For a detailed reason regarding the ammonium sulfate...

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/feature_articles/AS_plus_Roundup/Adding_amm onium_sulfate_to_Roundup.html

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 May 2013 10:18

Hi Bzzzzt,
Granulated huh? The only thing I can think of is salt. The de-icing stuff we use up here all winter would work in a broadcast spreader I think, but I'm not sure it is available to you. What about Kosher salt or maybe rock salt for ice cream makers? Just a thought.

Hope your driveway mower has a full recovery

Kudzu
# Posted: 18 May 2013 12:25

Ask at your local feed store/co-op, they will know.

creeky
# Posted: 18 May 2013 16:54

salt the lands ... why not? worked for Rome.

another technique is to take yer 4x4 and do burnouts up and down the lane. the scrubbing effect from the spinning tires clears the unsightly natural undergrowth and regeneration is delayed by the deposited layer of rubber.

best wishes to the mower.

Rick004
# Posted: 18 May 2013 20:58

I work as a mechanic for our municipality in the parks dept . They use a mixture of regular salt ,vinegar and sunlight dish soap . They put it in garden sprayers and spray it along tennis charts and around play structures . It really does work but best if done on sunny days .

hattie
# Posted: 18 May 2013 21:08

We use hot water and vinegar in our gravel driveway. Works great!!! When we are canning, after we are done, I just dump the pot of boiling water on the grass that is growing in the driveway. Kills it every time.

Just
# Posted: 18 May 2013 21:10

Don,t kill the grass ,if you do that the weeds will grow even taller and you could have erosion problems and a lot of mud if it rains much .cut the grass and weeds or pay someone to do it,, it will be better in the long run IMO.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 18 May 2013 21:42 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

The grass is currently about 3 or 4 feet high and I only want to kill it on the road, which is graveled. Erosion wont be a problem with what I want to do. I was just thinking granulated because I don't have to use hard-to-get water to use it.

I saw some stuff called Barrier at a farm store that came in a two and a half gallon jug that you mix and it did, I want to say 70,000 sq ft, but it was $90! I was just looking for some alternative. I appreciate all the input. It'll be mid June before we get down there again so I'm afraid that the grass will be a jungle by then.

I actually own about 1000 ft of this road but I'd like to treat about 3 or 4 times what I actually own to get and keep the road clear.

Just
# Posted: 18 May 2013 22:26

there used to be a product called Spike it was a granular went on dry .it was banned in Canada ,it would kill everything for 5 years .not sure if you can get it in the US. IT would do what you want ,be careful. Read the label .

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 May 2013 07:03

This kills my grass.
kills grass
kills grass

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.