Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / PTAC anyone
knock
# Posted: 19 May 2013 11:03

I am looking into heating and cooling ideas for my small cabin 16x20. It will have a fireplace, but not a wood stove so I need a primary source of heat. I was thinking about baseboard heaters, but I have a small child and am worried about them touching the heaters.

I thought about a window AC unit that has a heat pump, but most indicate that they only work down to @35-40 degrees. I want to use my cabin when it is colder than that here in central/southeast Missouri.

I have seen some PTACs for sale online (craigslist) and was wondering if anyone has been using them and how they are working for you.

ICC
# Posted: 20 May 2013 17:29 - Edited by: ICC

I have no idea what those PTAC units cost, but before I would go that route I'd look at a mini-split heat pump. You can get A/C only and ones that heat and cool. The PTAC are so loud when operating. That is my main beef with them. Hate staying in motels with them. A mini-split on the other hand has the noisy part isolated outside where you can't hear it. The inside unit whispers as it just has a fan to circulate the air. There's only a small hole required in the wall for the wiring and refrigerant piping. Easy to retrofit too. You'd only need one inside unit with that size cabin, but for larger buildings with separate rooms there are mini-splits that can use several inside units with the one outside unit. Each inside with its own thermostat.

Sanyo has some I really like. They are programmable and can even be used off grid. I have one of theirs with three inside units.

knock
# Posted: 20 May 2013 20:52

Thanks ICC.

I will have to look into those. I know that PTACs are noisy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.