Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Charging Batteries with Generator Only
MJW
# Posted: 23 May 2013 20:25 - Edited by: MJW

While I am waiting to have my solar array installed, we are using our Honda EU2000i generator to run our house. We generally run it 12 - 14 hours a day and honestly a good portion of that time there isn't much being used that creates a draw on the generator. About the only time I hear it pick up is for a second when the fridge or freezer kicks on or we use the microwave for a few minutes.

I have been wondering if there is a way to connect at least a couple of batteries to the generator so that we would have at least some power at night to perhaps run a fan or bathroom light if needed?

I was thinking we could perhaps capture and store some of the wasted energy while the generator is running during the day. Even if it took a couple of days to sufficiently charge the batteries to be able to use them, it would be worth it.

I am hoping the solar gurus here can help me out with this.

Is this idea flawed in some way? Is there a way to do it?

Any recommended reading or sites that could help educate me on this or show me how to set it up?

GomerPile
# Posted: 23 May 2013 21:01

I use a sears 60 amp microprocessor controlled battery charger. Leaving it connected all day it will keep your bank topped off without over charging.

The 12v output on the EU2000 is useless for anything other than trickle charging. Even then you need to have the Eco mode off. Not worth wasting the gas IMO.

Even if you get solar, you want to have something to charge batteries with. For $70 its probably money well spent and doubles as something to charge your car battery too.

MJW
# Posted: 23 May 2013 21:23 - Edited by: MJW

Thanks Gomer.

So what you are saying is you use a regular battery charger plugged into an outlet to charge your batteries for power when the generator is off?

So if I were to set up this same system tomorrow at my place, what would I need to pick up to get it done?

That sounds great.

Can you give me a little more detail as to how your system is set up?

How many batteries, how are they connected to give you power when the generator is off, how much power do they hold in reserve?

Still trying to figure all this solar stuff out.

Thanks for your help.

GomerPile
# Posted: 23 May 2013 21:44

I'm saying when your generator is running to power other stuff, attach the charger and it will charge batteries at the same time. The generator revs up a tiny bit but barely noticeable.

My system is 2x100 amp hour deep cycle marine batteries. I need to charge in winter every month or so because I need more PV panels to deal with reduced sunlight.

This is the charger I have: http://www.sears.com/diehard-microprocessor-controlled-battery-charger-and-tester-80/ p-02871225000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0

It's actually a 30 amp not 60 like I said. If you are running a generator for more than 5 hours, I expect you would be able to keep a pair of 100 amp hour batteries full for evening use.

Walmart has similar models if you don't have a sears or Kmart nearby.

ackray
# Posted: 6 Jun 2013 23:12

Running off the generator and then coasting off the batteries is what I do. I use the Powermax pm3 chargers, both a 55 and a 100 amp on different banks.

For batteries I have a bunch of golf cart batteries wired up.

I actually use different generator/charger combinations depending on what I am doing.

The simplest profile is a 2000w generator powering the pm3-55 and a 220v inverter charger for the well pump.

MJW
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 09:51

Quoting: ackray
Running off the generator and then coasting off the batteries

ackray, this sounds alot like what we are wanting to do.

I would love to speak with you in more detail about it.

Thanks!

jaransont3
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 10:38

This is basically what we are doing at our off-grid cabin with this small battery/inverter charger system.

More details in this thread....

Proposed Powr Plan for Cabin

ackray
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 15:36

MJW the setup was designed more around a house with many people living in it. The multiple generators are based on Fuel use vs Wattage output and are not inverter generators.

There are three Inverters in use, a 6000 watt MSW, An Ebay Special 3000 Watt 220V inverter running the 1/2 HP well pump and a 2000 watt pure Sine Xantech. The Royal Power MSW is supposed to take a surge up to 12000 watts.

the House batteries can be charged from the Royal Power Inverter/charger at 50 Amps. A Pm3-100 at 100 amps or the Iota at 55 amps.

The Water battery bank is charged by either the the 220V inverter at around 20 amps or a PM3-55 at around 50 amps.

the house bank is 10 golf cart batteries and the water bank is a bunch of random car batteries.

The smallest generator is the APA 2000w. I planned for around 900 watts of output from this generator to power the Iota for the house bank and to use the 220v inverter charger for the well bank. The motor is around 80cc's and will run around 6 hours on a tank of gas. This is the gen that gets run most. Probably over 50 hours a week. It's there to keep the batteries charged. Because of the reliance on Generators this was put in place to save on fuel costs. Pays for itself in about a month.

next Generator is the WEN 3500 with a 7HP motor. When I first got it I put over 1000 hours on it in about 9 months. This model WEN is a great generator. This is now used on Laundry day. Washing machine and dryer. When this is running the house bank is charged by the PM3-100 and the water by the PM3-55.

Finally I have a 5500 watt diesel. Cheap genset from Amazon. Lots of problems. However if I ever get it sorted out it will be used to power everything in the house and run the 6000 watt inverter/charger. I have it hooked up to a transfer switch and am populating a 2nd Mains panel for outlets and circuits that will be in use when this is running.

I am definitely learning as I go. However the first year I focused on generator/load profiles I saved over $3,000 in fuel.

In the house the main fride is propane. there is also little SPT 100w fridge. The TV is a 46" LED Vizio that draws around 60W and all lighting is LED at 6w. Also Comcast boxes, multiple WIFI computers and such.

I'm afraid it's a bit of a failure as a cabin. . .

Because of Zoning windmills are not really an option.

Once the Generators and house electrical is sorted out I'll probably look at Solar.

This is all rather odd because the property is surrounded by conservation land and running power lines was bot really an option.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jun 2013 01:37 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

MJW, I have a 60W Intelli Charger for my trailer. I added the "smart wizard" too. I think the model # was 9100. Its basically a clean DC power supply, battery maintainer/charger all in one. The smart wizard is for long term storage of the batteries. It charges them low at around 13.5 volts to keep from cooking away the water, then once every 4 days, hits it hard for 15 minutes with around 15 volts. This is to keep the plate clear of sulphate.

Here it is and the smart wizard is at the bottom. You wouldnt need the smart wizard in the cabin. Unless you dont use the batteries much.
http://www.adventurerv.net/intelipower-9100-convertercharger-amps-p-1431.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.