Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I miss having chickens,But?
rayyy
# Posted: 24 May 2013 17:46

Most of my life I have always had chickens in a nice hen house.But now since I don't have grid electric,I don't have any way of keeping drinking water from freezing up in the winter time.I have an idea of burying a plastic 55 gallon barrel in the ground with it's top at grade,cut a hole into the top to drop in a pan or something to hold water.I'm figuring that there will be enough ground heat to keep the inside of the barrel above freezing thuss keeping the water container from freezing up.You folks think this might work?Any other ideas?

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 24 May 2013 21:48

one way is to put heated pop bottles in thier drink pan. I am thinking the same way as you are. I can easily buy eggs around the corner and I don't use that many. taking care of them in the warm weather is easy it's the winter that it gets harder.
if I didn't get so attached to my girls I could put them in the freezer for the winter. but I have a hard time as I get older with this.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.