Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Hot Water Set-Up
bostonman98
# Posted: 25 May 2013 18:33

I'm starting to plan out a solar hot water set-up for my family's off the grid cabin in central Maine. The current setup is a wood stove that heats water in a large upright tank through convection. This works so-so, the stove has to run for at least an hour before there is any hot water. None of my family really minds this wait but I thought it would be cool to try a simple solar setup in addition to the stove heating the water. Here is my plan, please let me know what you think:

Build a simple box with coiled black plastic pipe such as shown below in the photo. I will then run a line from the coiled pipe to the hot water tank. To move the water I plan on using this small pump:

http://www.amazon.com/2-2-GPM-8-5-LPM-Threads/dp/B0075J5GEY
(Is this too big? Too small?)

Powered by this:
http://www.amazon.com/Instapark%C2%AE-Black-High-Efficiency-Mono-Crystalline-Solar/dp /B004FWXWGS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Has anyone done anything similar? Any suggestions on how to connect this system to the hot water tank without disrupting the stove heating it? There are some really expensive intricate systems out there but I want to keep it as simple as possible. This will also only be used during the summer.
FMMRN6KGR88L98C.MEDI.jpg
FMMRN6KGR88L98C.MEDI.jpg

sparky1
# Posted: 25 May 2013 19:56

1.Black plastic pipe will melt /leak when hot,it's NOT designed to carry HOT water
2. that pump is a "circulator.for a closed loop system.NOT a true pressure pump.buy one that will pump(pressure) Harbor freight--39.99-49.99 that produces pressure and some sort of Volume of water. Yes they have 12 Vdc pumps that will run off a battery.
3.that solar panel (probably) WON"T run the pump (my 2 cents)it would have to be faced directly to the sun to produce 5 watts (IF) your lucky-
4.Solarblvd.com has 20 watt panels for 29.99/ I bought (3).
but i use them to keep vehicle battery's charged.

bostonman98
# Posted: 26 May 2013 13:16

Hmmm.. I've seen a bunch of set-ups online with black plastic pipe, I wonder what their experience has been. I could get around that using PEX tubing and spray painting it with a high heat black paint.

I don't need a pressure pump. The water system at my cabin is gravity fed. So the pump would only need to very slowly circulate the water from the PEX through the hot water tank. Would this pump work in this situation?

Thanks for the solar tip, I'll have to experiment with those.

NeilR
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 08:43

Have a look here for some DIY options.
http://www.solarfriend.co.uk/

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 11:01

also builditsolar.com has a lot of great info on solar hot water set ups.
from what I've seen heard, not having built one myself yet, is keep it simple. forget the pump, use convection, the same as your stove heater.

NeilR, thx for the solarfriend link. he certainly details his process.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.