Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Sandpoints and water!
Hunter12
# Posted: 13 Jan 2010 10:29 - Edited by: Hunter12

As I am in the area of Lake Superior my soil is clay loam and has a lot of "marbles" to deal with. Has anyone had experience driving a sandpoint in rocky soil as this. Can it work.

Jerry
# Posted: 13 Jan 2010 17:33

Hunter,

Sounds like you have a real challenge there. I've driven two sandpoints at my place, and they both went relatively easy, but that's in sandy loam. Both are down about 25', and produce all the excellent water I'll ever need. Many years ago a friend of mine built a home on the ridge between Duluth and Two Harbors. He then called in a well driller who went down over 1200 feet and still didn't have much water. Another friend who living on a rocky lake north of Duluth had a friend with a backhoe dig as deep as he could and they got down below the softball sized rocks to more of a marble sized rock. He then drove a sandpoint, found good water, and extended the pipe up to ground level before backfilling. I think your situation is going to be difficult, but still might be worth a try. Worst case scenario is a loss of the point and whatever pipe you have attached, plus some labor. A word of advice though, if you're going to try it buy some good US made pipe and couplings. In a bind we used some Menards pipe and in no time pounded the threads right off it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.