Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / installing my own drinking water cistern
WY_mark
# Posted: 29 May 2013 15:54

Hi all,
I've had a quote of $6900 (not including excavation) for a 1400gal cistern and that seems ridiculous to me. I can get the concrete cistern itself for $1500, hole dug for a grand and other miscellaneous parts under a grand. I've re-plumbed parts of our house and several others, and I've done wiring before so I'm feeling like I could really do this whole thing myself. what I'm lacking is some good instructions on doing a submersible shallow well pump in a cistern. Can anyone point me to a good resource? also, what's your pump/pressure vessel of choice? we only have a 120 3500watt generator (no 220 option) so I need a pump that can work off that and eventually solar.
are there any particulars to look out for if im doing this myself?
thanks
Mark

GomerPile
# Posted: 29 May 2013 16:36

The 12V Shurflo pumps used in RV's have a bit of lift capability (6ft) and low flow versions are like $70. They have some models with more flow for more money. There is no need for a pressure tank since the pump just fires up when you need water. Although I think it would be a good idea to install a small 5 gallon expansion tank to reduce cycling a bit. This one is rated at 2.8GPM and would work great off a 12V solar/battery system:

http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-pumps/classic-series-water-pumps/shurflo-classi c-pump/default.html

Another option is a plain old Grunfos submersible pump in 120V...they sell them at lowes. You could also do a jet pump which is also available at lowes. Your generator would power either option. Expect to pay about $500 for this kind of system.

WY_mark
# Posted: 29 May 2013 17:59

I will be installing a pressure tank so that the generator doesn't have to be on every time we want water. having 20gal on "standby" is fabulous, you can wash your hands, get a drink, cook a meal and so on all without going out, starting the generator, making a bunch of noise and a whole production just to get your hands washed.

Truecabin
# Posted: 29 May 2013 18:48

what is the elevation in feet?
from the bottom of the cistern to a faucet

WY_mark
# Posted: 30 May 2013 15:36

the bottom of the cistern should be 9' from ground level (4' deep to the lid of a 5' cistern). figuring a little over I'm going to say 5' from ground level to a faucet so a total rise of 14'

Truecabin
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 00:46

12v pumps can push 5 gal min at 40psi and you lose 4.3psi for every 10 feet up so your only losing 6psi at 14ft
12v will work dont worry about 240v thats for a deep well or for whole house flows so you can take a shower while the cloths washer is running or the yard sprinklers on
but this is a cabin right?

WY_mark
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 15:41

this is a cabin that probably fits a little closer to a house definition. 600sf, but we want the creature comforts. My biggest thing is finding something that will fill a pressure vessel. I don't want to always have to have a generator running. The great thing wit a pressure tank would be roughly 20gallons ready and waiting for the hand washing and even a quick shower.
we won't have sprinklers of any kind, most uses for the foreseable future will be hand washing, shower, getting a drink, dishwasher. all should happen alone.

Martian
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 16:40

Quoting: WY_mark
The great thing wit a pressure tank would be roughly 20gallons ready

Not exactly. The pressure tank will only push water only so long as the pressure in the tank is greater than the lift pressure up to your faucet.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.