Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Rusty well water
KSalzwedel
# Posted: 30 May 2013 23:11

When we had our well dug two years ago, the water came out rusty. The driller told us to run the water for 24 hours and it would clear right up. He lied. We have rusty water.

My hair is usually white grey, turns reddish after a few showers. I am told clothes will be reddish too, and that tanks will wear out faster because of the iron in the water.

Any ideas? Experience? Do I have to drill a deeper well? The fellow a few acres over has sweet clear water, as domboth ofnhis neighbors. The well man won't even return my calls. I am not sayin he did anything wrong, just wondering if he drilled deeper, whether we would get clear water.

Martian
# Posted: 30 May 2013 23:32

How deep did your neighbors go?

There is a house about a mile from me where the water smells like sulfur. Theirs is the only one. It happens.

Tom

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 30 May 2013 23:39

Install an iron curtain...

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 30 May 2013 23:48

Hmm, Martian, don't know for certain. Will have to ask how deep they are.

Is iron curtain expensive where you are.? If it is, it will be 1/3 to 1/2 again as expensive here. Also, is it a water softener? My husband hates soft water with a passion.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 May 2013 07:32 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I built a house back in the early 80's....drilled a well...had iron problems...bought a $1300 dollar ( a lot of $$$ back in the day) Sear's brand water filer...it never worked as well as expected...sold the house after 5 years and the 1st thing I bought closing was 2 packs of white t-shirts...all mine were redish.....I have a friend who installs filters now. He always said not near as much problem with a bored (30") shallow well we call it here in the south...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 May 2013 08:58

It may not be rust, but other minerals. You may have to go to the water filter system.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 31 May 2013 09:10

Here is the info...it does not use salt! So no it. Does not soften your water.
http://www.hansonsoftwater.com/iron-curtain-water-filter-system.html

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 May 2013 11:16

Quoting: KSalzwedel
The driller told us to run the water for 24 hours and it would clear right up. He lied. We have rusty water.

is it fair to say he lied?
would you like it if he said
"i found water but would you like to pay me more to keep drilling deeper?"
its not his fault the first water under your house is rusty

it sounds like you have to go find a different driller to go deeper

for your problem i hope you find a solution
you can look here http://www.problemwater.com/ir_iron.html

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 May 2013 12:52

True cabin: I believed the driller when he told me we only needed to run the water for 24 hours and it would then run clear. In THAT he lied. He did his job efficiently, but when I called back to inquire whether we needed to go deeper he never responded. In my area I have not had very good luck with contractors showing up on the day (or week) they say they will, or workingore than 4-5 hours each day. So, that was frustration showing.

Sustainusfarms: SWEET! My husband wouldn't buy into a soft water system until he looked like an oompa loompa😉. Looked at suppliers in my area, and low and behold we actually have one near us!!! I will give the company a call once we get this all moved over and settled. Thanks.

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 13:34 - Edited by: trollbridge

Ksal...you are correct- the contractor should have returned your phone call!

Hope you find a solution

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 May 2013 15:27

Quoting: KSalzwedel
workingore than 4-5 hours each day. So, that was frustration showing.

i hear that, in my experience many want $1000 a day for a half days work you need referrals to get the good ones
my point was that all drillers would say to run for 24 hours and see if it clears up that part makes sense i cant see it as a deliberate untruth

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 May 2013 16:50

Truecabin: You are correct. He probably wasn't deliberate about it, but not calling me back was not in his favor. I wasn't blaming him for the water, just wondering if there was more we could do about it.

Thanks Trollbridge. I hope so too. I have a lead on a bigger outfit (which doesn't always translate to available around here, many work for mining companies and oil companies during summer).

Just frustrated. . . .

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 May 2013 16:58

i hear that, bad water reminds you why you want good water

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:00

Absolutely. And when my hair turned red I REALLY knew

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:30

It is too bad it is hard to find reliable contractors. People say that up where our cabin is too. They warn to hire from home and pay the extra. That explains why my husband does so much flooring in cabins up north!

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 May 2013 18:01

I think we are moving to the sleepiest or laziest city I have ever livednin. Breakfast restaurants don't open until 9:00 at the earliest. Makes you wonder how anyone makes a living.

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 18:04

9??? All I can say is WOW

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 May 2013 18:07

By then we have eaten, had bible study, cleaned the cabin, hauled wood, planned the day's activities, shopped for parts, and started checking items off the list already.

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 18:30

too, too funny!
I'm not THAT productive by 9, but I get what you're saying!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.