Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shallow well installation
frank
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 21:35

I'm planning to fulfill the water need in part with a shallow well. There's a spot on the site where spring water come out of the ground wich result in a 2 sq foot pond. The previous owner told that this water is drinkable. The soil is not sandy, but mostly rocky...
Is it a good idea to put a well there?
How deep should I dig?
What kind of installation is required?
(so it can fill a buried tank and be fonctionnal even in winter time...)

johng
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 21:48

2 sq foot isn't much. Is the water flowing out at a steady rate or just created a wet depression?

frank
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 23:27

What i know is the source is there for 35 years +... They used it before without any installation.. They only put a wooden box on top of it for protection..

Martian
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:03

Frank, think about a "spring box". It is nothing more than a hole in the ground in which the water collects.

Settlers around here dug a hole, surrounded it with stones to hold back the dirt, and put in a pipe to drain the accumulated water into a cistern. A cover, to keep out critter, leaves, etc., was put over it.

If you dig a well, you may disrupt the spring.

Tom

frank
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 13:32 - Edited by: frank

Thanks Tom, I'd check about it and your advice put me in the right direction!
Carolina_Water_Tank_.png
Carolina_Water_Tank_.png

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.