Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Question For Honda EU2000i Owners
cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 08:00

Ok I have an EU2000i which is a great little generator for our off grid building. I want to purchase a window ac unit and I am trying to figure out how large of a modern window unit the little gennie will support the start up load for.

I was looking at an 8000 btu at Home Depot the other day and the running load was 7.5 amps but of course there was no starting load listed. I figure even if the starting current was double, the Honda should take it assuming no other loads.

So here's my question, how big an air conditioner are you folks successfully running on your EU2000i's?

Thanks.

MJW
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 09:35 - Edited by: MJW

We bought a 12000 btu unit (what we found we would need to cool our square footage) and tested.

With the other high consumption things we are using (regular fridge and freezer) we found we have to run both of our Hondas in parallel to operate them all together when we run the AC.

The guy that is installing our solar recommends a split unit that we are looking at now. Very low energy consumption, easy to install, no ducting and very efficient.

GomerPile
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 10:34

Just bought a Frigidaire #LRA050XT7 which is a 5000 BTU unit and it runs flawlessly from my EU2000 with eco mode ON! When the compressor kicks on it barely even notices.

Cost $119 plus tax from Lowes.

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 13:20

Thanks for the responses, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Please keep them coming.

GomerPile - I first thought about 5000 btu but based on the square footage I think I should be in the 7000 btu range if the Honda will take it.

MJW- Did you ever try just running the ac by itself on one of the Honda's? I suspect a 12,000 btu is too big for one but I thought I would ask.

Rossman
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 14:17

I'm not sure what our motorhome has, but it has two A/C units on it....the EU2000i can power one of them at a time but not both.

They are pretty old though, prob not the most efficient...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 16:00

Look at amps for the gennie, in your case, its like 13.6 amps, so its about 13,000 BTU. I found this relationship long time ago. But the 13,000 BTU woudl be max, if you get a window unit, a 5000 BTU, that gennie wont even feel it.

MJW
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 18:47 - Edited by: MJW

Quoting: cabinbiscuits
Did you ever try just running the ac by itself on one of the Honda's? I suspect a 12,000 btu is too big for one but I thought I would ask.

cb, I have no doubt that one Honda 2000 will run our 12000 btu with no problems. It is running them all on one that caused my one Honda not to be able to do it. It tried but everything together (fridge, freezer, lights, TV, AC, etc) was just a bit too much.

I have my Hondas wired to run through my breaker panel to power our place (thanks tmt) and we love it. No extension cords, power strips, etc.

Running both in parallel runs everything easily with neither generator having to work very hard and the only time we have to run the second unit is when we use the AC which so far has only been once this year for a few hours and that was when we were testing.

I hope the remainder of the summer is as mild as it has been so far.

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 15:48

Well from the sounds of it I should be safe with the 8000 btu. Thanks everyone.

Dillio187
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 16:09

I run a 5000btu unit from my EU1000i in eco mode. Yea it loads the engine when it starts, but then it settles in below 50% throttle, and runs about 6-7 hours before running out of fuel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.