Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What are doing to prepare for next winter season?
groingo
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 13:12

I know, just into summer but I like to get things out of the way for example:
1.New super efficient propane based heater that will share duties with the wood stove using only 2 gallons propane a month for the 200 square foot cabin.
2.Replacing the steel insulated door with a fiberglass one.

How about you, getting your things to do list updated?

MJW
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 13:41

1. Splitting a ginormous pile of firewood we cut this past winter a little at a time.

2. Building racks with pallets to stack it all on.

creeky
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 14:45

Hey what propane heater are you using groingo? I need to install one too.
so 1: finding propane heater
2: chopping wood (got a couple of trees from a neighbor, got the big one down and cut so far)
3: finishing the "shizzer shack" (shower et al.)
4: building "tool shed/kitchen"
5: adding another kw of solar
6: ooo. this list is getting too long. I think I'll stop now.

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 16:48

Iv'e installed a new 35000 btu gas heater and got a 200 pound propane tank set up by a local gas company.(no more hauling 100 pound propane tanks)yahhh.I'll be building a porch out 6 feet over my main doorway to carry the snow and rain out away from my door.More siding and house wrap work.Bigger hot water heater.I will have to replace my Honda EU2000I too soon.Poor thing has just worn out.It's been an expensive year for me.Truck problems and new tires.Hot water heater,,,,Cha-ching,cha-ching,cha-chinnnnnnnng!Was saving up to buy a new tractor.Oh well,maybe next year.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 18:43

1: build woodshed (or temp facsimile)
2: rough in plumbing (now that all lines are under the cabin)
3: purchase fixtures (and hopefully not go broke doing so)
4: sheetrock and walls in new bath
5: install kitchen wiring, cabinets, countertop, and appliances (hopefully without overextending the "already broke" status before signing final papers on old house)
6: moving furniture into heated storage so that we can move around in all 388 square feet of living space
7: keep husband from stroking out as his wallet gets flatter, and flatter, and . . . .

groingo
# Posted: 4 Jul 2013 01:38

Quoting: creeky
Hey what propane heater are you using groingo? I need to install one too.

I'm not buying a manufactured one I have designed one and been testing over the past winter. It works on any Coleman type camp stove, yet you can also cook on the second burner at the same time while the heater is in operation.
While used in my 200 square foot cabin it has proven to be extremely frugal with the Propane, I can easily heat for two months in winter with about four gallons of propane but this could vary depending on many variables like size of building and insulation and ceiling type.

It is extremely simple, has only three parts, body, heat sink and Thermoelectric Eco fan for forced air mode.

The past two months have been spent refining the design and checking Carbon Monoxide which at this point appears so low it does not register thanks to a very simple secondary burn method similar to a wood stove.

When I am satisfied with the Monoxide readings are truly safew I will release further information on it which could be by the end of this week, I need a Laboratory grade tester.

groingo
# Posted: 4 Jul 2013 01:41

Just for grins, what would you need for the pooped Honda, am looking for one with good electronics but bad motor for a project.
groingo@myopera.com

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 4 Jul 2013 10:07

Same as most of you. I have lots of wood to split and stack in the woodshed. I may also build another shed to store items over the winter. If I am motivated that is. I've been doing so many upgrades the past few years that I am looking forward to relaxing with family and friends and enjoying the place!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 15:59

i have enough wood to last me 20 years, its cut split and stacked, i gave up on woodsheds since i cut wood faster than i can build sheds.

to prepare for winter I'm selling off all but a 4 year supply (my surplus) to a neighbor. the money is being saved for an ATV. after i get an ATV i'm getting a skidding arch (small scale logging) to harvest wood faster, a disk harrows for the field, a trailer for hay, etc (ATV is better suited for teraign and small fields than a full tractor).

i'm also growing, harvesting and stockpiling food for winter (when the snow hits i'm alone for 4 months)

I'm also building more traps for winter fur bearers

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 16:33

Building a new garage to house the tractor with the mounted snow blower. Roll up door on both ends to make it easy to get in and out. Long enough to place the tractor and truck inside end to end. Looks like a covered bridge with both doors up. Wide enough to have room to leave the blower when detached.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.