Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Honda EU2000I versus Honda EU1000I
rayyy
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 17:32

My old girl has bit the dust,Yes my Honda eu2000i has died.They want $500.bucks to fix her and I can get a brandnew one for $899.so I'm contemplating buying a eu1000i.I figure 99.9 percent of the time,I'm using between 300 watts to 600 watts.So,,,If I get 8.3 hours of running time out of a .6 gallon tank on an eu1000i verses 9.6 hours out of a full gallon of gas on an eu2000i.Do you think it's worth a shot???

MJW
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 18:00

bit the dust? Ouch.

How long have you had it, Rayyy? What did they say was wrong with it? Any idea how many hours it had on it?

Personally, I would go with another 2000. "Just in case..."

PA_Bound
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 18:07

I would also stick with 2000 if it were me. I've purchased four generators in my life... and within a year three of them left me wishing I had purchased just the next size up. And that includes a 1000i- that just isn't quite enough to run the coffee pot and one other light at my hunting cabin.

My $.02.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 18:55

I've heard the 1000 is the same decibels as the 2,000. Is that right?

adakseabee
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 19:27

I have the 1000 and wish I had the 2000.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 20:23

Quoting: OwenChristensen

I've heard the 1000 is the same decibels as the 2,000. Is that right?

It is, the 2000 will run air compressor, power tools, all tools one needs to build a cabin.

I also have the EU6500is and it also has the exact same noise rating as the 1000 and 2000.

EU3000i is another great unit. Face it, all Honda EU series gennies are top notch.

chillisauce
# Posted: 4 Jul 2013 06:42

As above. I run the 1000i. It does most of what I want, (including running an 1800W (!) chop saw with small loads - just. A bigger joist or a steep angle cut will stall it) Its nice and quiet too. A 2000i would breeze it with loads to spare.

GomerPile
# Posted: 4 Jul 2013 08:22

Wanna sell your eu2000? I want dead one for parts....assume the inverter blew up?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 08:28

Gomer, I work at a Honda dealer, maybe I'll come across what you need.

GomerPile
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 08:42

Thanks for the offer, I just try to pick up dead ones cheap so I have a decent supply of parts for the ones I own.

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Gomer, I work at a Honda dealer, maybe I'll come across what you need.

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 16:35

Here's the deal,it's been running just fine for low wattage loads but when I start up the microwave or washer,it can't do it any more.It won't crank up to high enough rpm's to run a heavy load so I took it to my local Honda dealer.They charged me a hundred bucks to say I need a crank shaft,upper cam and new timing belt.$500.bucks to fix itThey blame my oil that Iv'e been using.There saying you can't run 10 w 30 car oil in them.You need special oil from them specifically for small gas engines.(low ash content)So as far as I'm concerned it's ready for the dumpster.I'm not to impressed with Honda any more.

Rossman
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 16:55

I use regular 10W30

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 21:19

Well in my opinion Honda is over rated, but I do like that quiet little generator and if it died today it wouldn't owe me a thing. I've been using it for commercial construction for many years, running a pancake compressor and sometimes a DeWalt circular saw at the same time. But I have gone through a couple five hp Honda engines on compressors.

ICC
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 22:53 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: rayyy
There saying you can't run 10 w 30 car oil

not to impressed with Honda any more

IMO, it is the local dealer you should be disappointed in more than the brand Honda. But then dealerships are all alike in that they do like to promote the use of their own branded name parts and accessories. If I had a dollar for every item the various dealers have tried to insist I need I'd be a rich man. I don't mind someone making a profit but I really get p-o's when they lie. It comes down to this. The oil that will satisfy warranty has SAE specs listed. As long as the oil meets those specs it is all you need. Any good motor oil will meet those specs. That said after an engine is broken in, I use synthetic oils. They cost a little more than the standard oil with the Honda name on it.

How many hours on the engine? Oil changed often enough? I use hour meters on all my small engines. It is the only reliable way to tell what use the engine gets, IMO. About $25 last time I bought one for the new ATV. Most small engines I see owned by others do not have meters and so most people are guessing at maintenance intervals. Honda engines are good but they are not magic. They do wear out and faster when the oil change intervals get long.

Truecabin
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 01:36 - Edited by: Truecabin

Quoting: ICC
IMO, it is the local dealer you should be disappointed in more than the brand Honda. ........... It comes down to this. The oil that will satisfy warranty has SAE specs listed. As long as the oil meets those specs it is all you need.

yes agreed if oil meets the engine makers spec the brand makes no difference there is no difference to the engine

maybe oil not changed often enough? does the engine make noise rattling? If engine is not rattling Im not sure I believe what they say about the crankshaft

Truecabin
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 01:46

sorry about the engine but thinking more about it i would take it somewhere else where they know more about engines maybe it just needs the carb cleaned what you describe a loss of power can easily be related to fuel

also if they said there is a timing belt and upper cam?
does a little engine like that have a timing belt or maybe you heard wrong?

take it somewhere else that sounds fishy

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 08:58 - Edited by: ICC

They do have a timing belt.

I do not doubt there is an engine problem, I simply doubt that using Honda branded oil would have prevented the problem if the oil used was meeting specs.

$500 is a big repair bill but still less than a new one. Ask them if there are any other parts that could be even a little iffy. It's a hard call to spend that much on a repair but it may be best if the geeny does what you want when it does run right.

This is one reason I am not a fan of using a genny as the sole or major source of power. They do wear out faster than P panels. They need more maintenance than PV. And a genny failure is pretty much always abrupt although sometimes like this the problem slowly creeps up until one day it just can't do the hard work.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 09:13 - Edited by: ICC

Back to the original question though. If the sick 2000i won't run the microwave will the 1000i ? Microwaves draw more watts that their rated cooking power. IE our small 800 watt m-wave draws 1100 to cook and the big 1100 cook power one draws 1600 watts.

rayyy
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 12:54

I see your point ICC.Mine is a 600 watt microwave.I looking at the gas milage from the 1000 watt geny.Nearly twice that of the 2000.Boils down to spending 10 bucks a week for gas as oppose to 20.Like I'm saying,I'm never drawing more than 2 or 3 hundred watts at any given time.The tv and a fan is on mostly.

Dillio187
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 11:47

bummer on the genny. I bought my 1000i from CL almost 3 years ago now and it has served me well, in fact I ran it all 4th of July weekend running the 5000btu AC, my skill saw, and my drill while starting the new porch on my cabin. fuel usage: not even 2 gallons

groingo
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 14:17

The figures you have for the 1000 at 8.3 hours runtime are likely based at 25% capacity while the Honda burst capacity is 1000 watts the true max duration output is 900 watts so if you pull 300 to 600 watts you'll just be refueling more often (small gas tank).

In a nutshell, if you can run not to exceed 225 watts then you will get the 8.3, but go over and it drops quick.

Might want to run a power check on your Microwave, I have four (2 Sharp Mini's and 1 Munchkin and the little Emerson) all claim to use 400 watts when in reality each consumes 800 to 900 watts) I think the specs mean cooking power is 400 watts.

Sounds like the problem with the 2000 is a flat cam due to lack of upper end lubrication, that would explain poor high speed performance.

rayyy
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 16:20

Hummmmm,,,OK,I think I'll get me another EU2000I.Right now I have a Generac 1600 watt geny for my electric but The thing start's hard and it run's very rough.I do miss my Honda.(Choke on,half tug,choke off,,,she's running) Good to go!

groingo
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 20:02

Just did a quick part check, you mentioned yours had a belt, that would make it a pre-2001 according to the parts manual....it has done VERY WELL!

cman47c
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 09:10

Everyone will laugh at this but I bought a Harbor Freight 900W generator 3 years ago just cause it was $89. I have a Yamaha 1000W generator also that cost $700 that I was using at my cabin. I know Harbor Freight powered equipment can be questionable, but this generator has been a champ. The reviews were good, only thing was to maybe change the original spark plug. Mine still has the original plug and has run great. Starts easily, on first or second pull every time and is alot quieter than I thought. Only thing is you must mix the oil and gas. What a pleasant surprise.

groingo
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 10:27

I checked one of those out a couple years ago, it was marketed under the AllPower brand but when I checked the six service centers they gave me, none had ever heard of them so I passed, glad you got a good one.
I too have a Yamaha 1000, bought new two years ago it now has about 15 minutes of run time, it's used just as a last resort backup but is a very uber efficient and well thought out machine.

buckybuck
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 14:58

I also have one of those 900W generators (mine has a Sportsman label, but it's the same generator). And I also have a halfway decent 1600W inverter generator and a really good 3500W Lifan generator.

The Lifan is probably going in my next garage sale--I just don't need one that big. I thought I would want a generator big enough to run an air conditioner, but I quickly realized that I'd rather stay at my real house on hot days, enjoying central air conditioning, drinking beer and watching Netflix rather than be cooped in a little shelter listening to an air conditioner and a generator running non-stop. (This would undoubtedly be different if I lived in my cabin full time).

The 1600W is nice, but I don't like leaving it at a weekend place. Also, a lot of the time I ride a motorcycle to my cabin and can't take it anyway. So that unassuming little $90 generator stays there year-round and gets used more than anything else. Honestly, about all I use any of these generators for is when I haven't been at my place for a while or it's been cloudy for a couple of days in a row and my solar cells are being lazy. I have an Iota 45 amp battery charger that I hook up to the generator for about an hour to top off the batteries, and that's about all the use any of these generators get.

For that matter, other than the Iota battery charger, about the only other thing I use that requires 120 volts is the microwave oven. That 900W generator isn't big enough to run it, but I have a 2000W inverter that I hook up to a battery when I want to microwave something.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 20:38

Quoting: ICC
Back to the original question though. If the sick 2000i won't run the microwave will the 1000i ? Microwaves draw more watts that their rated cooking power. IE our small 800 watt m-wave draws 1100 to cook and the big 1100 cook power one draws 1600 watts.

I doubt it, the higher rating is surge, while continuous is lower. I know the EU2000i is 1600 continuous. My 2000 really loads on the microwave.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 29 Jan 2014 06:50 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

The tv and a fan is on mostly.

Rayyy, take a look at this 12v fan, maybe it would save on your gasoline bill. Maybe with this fan and a TV that consumes less you could save on your generator use as well for small loads.

Fan-Tastic Vent 01100WH Endless Breeze 12V Fan Made in the USA
12 Volt Plug with Cord
Low Amp Draw 1.2 - 2.6
low: 15 Watts
medium: 27 Watts
high: 35 Watts
High Air Velocity - Up to 10 mph
110 Volt operation with a 4 amp Converter (not provided)

Many positive reviews on Amazon

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/endless_breeze/endless_breeze.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY2Z6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid= ATVPDKIKX0DER

old greybeard
# Posted: 29 Jan 2014 07:47

We run a Honda generator at work, runs well and has been dependable. But I've know others that have spent a good bit on repairs. I debated getting one when I brought my Generac 4kw home, which btw has been flawless for 17 years except for a low oil sensors.
For $299 delivered I bought a Champion 3500, they seem to be decent built for the money, I made sure a real person in the USA answers the phone at the 1-800#. And it is very quiet, plus if someone breaks in and steals it I won't out as much. At 1/5 the cost of a Honda I can afford to take a chance, especially as the only thing I need Generator power for is my wifes hair drier or once every 2-3 years when the snow kills my solar panel output.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.