Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Effects of Snow and Ice Build Up
DanNbama
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 22:41 - Edited by: DanNbama

Hi, I am new to the site and enjoyed reading and seeing many pictures of every ones small cabins.

I am in the planning phase (on paper) of coming up with a materials list for building a small cabin. Also have a list going for the necessities like, water system, wood stove, outhouse, 12v power system, propane frig and freezer. I know there is more.

I have this desire to go North to a colder climate like Idaho or Alaska. Really leaning on Alaska, reason one is I was born there and spent a couple weeks there 3 years ago. I want to go fishing. Alaska has always been on my mind.

I understand that solar panels won't do that much during the 5 hours of daylight during the cloudy winter months so I was also considering Wind Turbines.

Here is my question. How bad is the snow and ice build up on wind turbines?

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 22:57

I would suggest that before you make such a big move you come to Alaska in the dead of winter (Jan). Many folks LOVE AK in summer, but find our nine months of winter, 5 months of darkness too oppressive. Plus, make certain you have a good paying job. In Anchorage a studio apartment is 9-1200 dollars a month. Also homesteading is no longer an option.

Now, if it is just a summer cabin, have a lot of time set aside to find the right land, and substantial cash. Building up here costs roughly 25-35% more than the lower 48. Just want you to be realistic.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 11:18

Agreed. I smiled when you said 5 hrs of daylight in the winter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.