Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Powered Automatic Gate Opener
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 15:35

I have a 2 mile dirt road entrance to my cabin property. At the beginning of the road is a standard cattle gate. I'd like to install an automatic gate opener, and since its in a remote area, it will need to be solar powered.

Anyone have a recommended brand? (I saw one on Amazon by Mighty Mule, but it didn't have great reviews).

ackray
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 07:37

I think you are better off going the DiY route for this.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 09:13

any recommendations on the parts and where to get them?

Martian
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 09:29

I'm about to remove four actuators and two solar panels from one of my customer's gates. I might be persuaded to part with one. He thinks they are too unreliable so wants them removed.

Tom

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 09:37

What is the cost of persuasion these days?

Martian
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:24

I don't know, honestly. Let me see what kind of shape the equipment is in. I'll bet we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement...I'm real easy to get along with.

How many actuators do you need? I'm getting two off of 16' iron pipe gates and two off of 8' pipe gates. Obviously, the bigger gates have bigger actuators.

I plan on using at least one actuator for solar array tracking when I put in my solar panels. But I doubt I'll need more than one for that. I'll probably keep another one for a backup.

Tom

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:33

I'm completely new to the world of automatic gate openers. I have a cattle fence that is about 12'-14' wide. And no available electricity at the fence.

Martian
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:41

These systems are both solar powered. I know they are not being used; so the batteries are probably shot. I'll know more once I have the systems in my shop and can apply the proper voltage to the units. I have no doubt they are good equipment, since they don't skimp on the stuff I do for them.

The owners are "occasional" people; ie, they are at this house only about 60 days a year. I'll go down and pull the systems after they leave next week. If you can wait, I have no doubt I can save you some money.

Tom

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 13:46

No hurry. I'd rather get it done right than just get it done...

Martian
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 14:05

I'll let you know what I have when I get it back here.

Take care.
tom

Martian
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 11:51 - Edited by: Martian

RTH, I pulled the two solar powered gate opener systems. They are both GTO-PRO SW3000's.

http://www.gtopro.com/PRO-SW3000XLS-Automate-Swing-Gates-up-to-1000-lbs-and-20-ft-s/5 1.htm

I haven't tested them, yet. I haven't tried to find a dealer to see what they cost. The manufacturer's website doesn't list prices.

Tom

clintondiya
# Posted: 19 May 2020 04:05

I've had a Mighty Mule gate opener for years and years now. It is for sure a DIY endeavor and over time you will have to learn a lot of things in order to keep it working. There are moving parts that simply break over time and then there are all the idiots in the world who ignore this is an automatic gate and one should not push it manually to open it, lean on it to make it drag, etc. When it is working, it is awesome. We drive in and out as a family, allow others access via a code at the keypad.

When it is broken, you have to call to repair it. I really haven't found anyone else who works on these and understands all of the different wiring configurations depending on the particular accessories you might have. I've just taught myself how to deal with just about every possible scenario I hope to ever imagine. There have been times I couldn't identify the exact problem based on the recommended troubleshooting tips online and had to send it in to pay the bench fee to evaluate. I've had everything go bad for some reason or another over time. I've replaced the entire board, the arm, the exit wand after many years of operation, the keypad, the remotes, fuses, the wiring (forgot and burnt a leaf pile over where the wire was buried; took several months to become a problem and it was hard to diagnose because it caused intermittent problems), the exit button just inside the property to get out to check mail or walk on the road, and you name it. I've become a legend at fixing these in my own mind.

But to be honest, I want to cry when it stops working, because I have probably spent more time with my sons helping sometimes working on this gate over the years than probably any other item. It is just what it takes. I recommend you get an excellent source to mount the opener on attached to your gate. I have been through several such items. When the gate gets confused and is trying to shut when it is already shut, things break quickly. I finally had a mount welded onto my aluminum gate by a professional welder. Part of the problem is my gate is about 12' long, and is really an 8' aluminum panel and a 4' panel welded together by the fence guy that installed this type of fencing along the front of my property many, many years ago. So, it's what I have to work with.

I have a friend that has a more professional gate that he paid a company to install. He's had all the exact same problems. We swap gate horror stories. He hasn't had any better luck going that route than I have had. He is also a DIY type, so he works on his as well and agrees there is really not many around in our area at least, that could work on this better than we already understand.

All in all, I wouldn't go any other route because of the cost savings. It is something that benefits my family. We keep our dogs in and other dogs out. I know my kids are behind a gate. I don't deal with people coming onto my property that I don't want to (other than meter readers). You just have to understand the game you are getting into. Something is going to break every now and then and you are going to be the one to read the manuals, the online support, the forums, or whatever to get it fixed.

I've never tried the solar panels since I already have the hard-line power down by the gate and thus I've never spent that money on the solar panel. I've always wondered about going this route.

paulz
# Posted: 19 May 2020 18:14

I have a Mighty Mule that I removed the limiting switches, electronic crap and control box from. Just the motor and ram. I hooked it to a polarity reversing switch with a remote fob. I hold one button down until it's open and the other button until it's closed. 12v car battery with a solar charger.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.