Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Can dead deep cycle batteries break a charger?
ackray
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 07:37

The setup is ten golf cart batteries in five twelve volt banks. For a little over three years now they have been in place and working. Over the last six months the reserve capacity has been dropping to almost nothing,

At this point they are dead, being run down to close to ten volts overnight and so on. House load is less than 300 watts at use times and under 50 watts at off use times.

The first charger to go was a powermax 100 amp charger. the 6000 watt inverter charger has also developed problems.

Last night I wired in a smaller powermax forty-five amp charger and within five minutes it lit up, smoked sparked and died.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thanks!

Dillio187
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 12:25

you have too many parallel battery banks, and a couple of the 12V banks are probably dead. Have you checked fluid and SG on all of them? I'm guessing you have a couple pairs that were supporting most of the loads, and are now cooked.

ackray
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 13:06

Thanks Dillio187.

The batteries are definitely gone. Being replaced this week. My question is if dead or shorted batteries can damage the chargers and inverters that are connected to this type of battery bank.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks again!

Dillio187
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 21:39

it certainly could if there was a dead short which overloaded the charger. I've read about it happening quite a bit with setups with a lot of parallel batts.

groingo
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 23:46

A collapsed of broken battery plate can cause a direct short, could have been part of the problem.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 00:53

You have burnt out the diode (rectifier) and it can be fixed. I used to fix automotive battery chargers at my prior employer. Dont toss it just yet.

ackray
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 12:00

Turned out to be the generator. Volts were good but the Hz were way off.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.