Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / EcoTemp L5 REVIEW
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 08:15

So...we spent the 4th of July weekend at the cabin... Got the outside hose spigot hooked up and then.......wait for it..........

SHOWER TIME!!!

So, here is our "review" of the Ecotemp L5.

Did it work? YES.....it worked flawlessly! Jason was the first to try it out since I got to be at the cabin for the actual well drilling....our shower is outdoors in a nicely built cedar stall....he was actually moaning and yelling to me that he was never getting out! He is a tough one to please and he gave it a 10 out of 10! I was next and I delivered the same moans and threatened to not come out as well!

Was it easy to set up and use? Set up was a snap! You have to use the included pipe tape and rubber washers to keep it from leaking but, I would have done that anyways. Use was equally easy....it was nice to be able to get into the shower and hold the nozzle in your hand pointed away from you while you adjust the water temp. A 10 on this as well!

Was disconnecting and storage easy? Why yes it was! After turning off the water I just disconnected the hoses from both the propane tank and the hose, slung the shower nozzle and gas line over the top, carried it in with the built in handle and hung it on a nail in the cabin! Score: 10

How was the water pressure? Great! Even with the water pressure turned all the way down on low it felt like a great shower! The low setting is plenty... in fact, it did not feel like a low water pressure setting to me. Score:10 ( at low)

It worked great with our input water about 50 degrees....I was easily able to get the temp hot enough to be to hot for the delicate body parts...if you know what I mean?!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 09:09

Got a link to this unit? I'd be interested in seeing it.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 09:47

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-Portable-Tankless-Outdoor/dp/B000TXOJQ4/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1373464005&sr=8-1&keywords=EcoTemp+L5

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:08

nice! and many happy showers to come.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:46

It has worked so well I am planning on hard plumbing it into my system with some quick connect fittings for easy removal for winter storage....

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 22:33

We have used them for years and love them! I hard plumbed ours and it is a treat after a hard workday
Outdoor shower
Outdoor shower

BigDuke6
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 00:06 - Edited by: BigDuke6

I got my Eccotemp off of EBay a few weeks ago. LOVE IT! Works as advertised, and makes living at the cabin much more civilized. I just use it as an outdoor shower, and being able to clean up after a full day of work is priceless. AWESOME!

Purplerules
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 23:33

We have had ours since Oct. We left it out in the cold and in cracked, but we used JBweld and it works like a charm.
It was the best money spent on something for the cabin yet.
Oh and we will not be leaving it outside in the winter anymore.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 11:45

The ecotemp continues to be one of the best things bought for the cabin...even showers outside at 45 degrees are pleasant! That water is piping hot with awesome water pressure! No issues with it yet! So simple to set up and use! Love it!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 11:52

How easy is it to drain in anticipation of freezing temps?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 12:04 - Edited by: Sustainusfarm

Really easy,,,I detach the hose from the unit then I lay the sprayer on the ground making sure it is in the on position. Then, I unscrew the little plug on the bottom and let all the water drain out. Next, lay the unit flat on my picnic table and unscrew the shower nozzle leaving the shower hose still attached then I blow into the hose and the rest of the water comes out! I just hang it to dry for a bit then store. Takes about 4 minutes ...

davey25
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 21:19

I have not had the same luck..is it nice to have a hot shower though..absolutely...one of the brass fittings came apart...it has a leak on the underside that I'm having a hard time sealing up...and it goes out all the time...I have the l7 though..after checking the net because of the flame going out I've seen many bad reviews..but it does work sometimes without going cold which is nice

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 23:03

It probably does not have enough water pressure to keep the pilot light lit.

I don't know if draining the shower is enough since I don't think all the water can be removed from the copper coils just through draining. We bring ours home and store it in a heated basement. This way we can also clean it and test it before we get to camp.

razmichael
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 08:20

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I don't know if draining the shower is enough since I don't think all the water can be removed from the copper coils just through draining

Although I tend to remove mine and bring it home as well at the end of the season, the web site states:

Outdoor model numbers L5, L10 DO NOT have an antifreeze circuit installed. If the temperatures get at or below freezing, you must drain the unit by unscrewing the drain stem located at the bottom right of the unit AS WELL AS unhook the outgoing water line to ensure proper drainage from the heat exchanger.

The pain is late summer/early fall where there is a constant risk of freezing temperatures at night but nice days. I put my system together with a lot of quick connects so it takes about 1 minute to disconnect all hoses (not just the eccotemp) and they hang down to drain. With the eccotemp I will do this in the evening as well as open the drain plug. Connect everything back up in the morning.

Sad that it will not be long before I need to go up and pull in the dock, remove the water heater and close things up for the winter.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 09:54

I do the same with my eccotemp L10. A couple of quick disconnects, remove the drain plug and its good. I also just hook it up again in the morning. In the dead of winter at -20 c I don't use it all. It's been in use for 3 years now and no problems at all.

rayyy
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 19:54

My original L5 I bought for the camper but last winter,I forgot to bring it inside.When I fired it up to use it on our first camping trip,,,Swiss Cheese!Needless to say,an expensive lesson to learn.I ordered another L5 but they ran out of them so they sent me the L7 for the same price.So I put that one inside the cabin and swapped out my other L5 for the camper.Love it,love it,love it!

davey25
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 22:53

Ya lots of pressure..

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 08:14 - Edited by: razmichael

Rayyy,
Quoting: rayyy
My original L5 I bought for the camper but last winter,I forgot to bring it inside.When I fired it up to use it on our first camping trip,,,Swiss Cheese!

Lucky you getting the L7! Not sure if you are aware but you can order the complete gas water valve assembly from Eccotemp - only 28.80 for the L5! Assembly L5 Like you I split one a couple of years ago when it froze (a small crack). I was going to get the assembly to fix it but the crazy shipping costs to Canada (along with duty and taxes) made it simpler to just order a new one. I may try welding the crack to see if I can have a spare.

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 20:04

Yahhh I know.I tried to fix it up,sodered crack after crack but it was to far gone.Lesson learned.My new heater is inside for the winter.

Borrego
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 20:19

I'm writing again to laud the Ecotemp! Last spring, my outdoor shower that we have used for 4 years stopped working...I tried switching tanks, hoses, blowing out the inside with air, new batteries... no luck. Well I just figured that after 4 years of hard use, plus the fact that I really don't take very good care of it (leaving it out in the desert sun) it was just time for a new one. We had just built a new indoor shower so the outdoor one and not been tried this season yet, until some friends came to visit, they got up early one morning and took their showers and came out raving about the awesome outdoor shower experience... I said, weren't you cold? they said, no it was nice and warm. So I tried it out and it has fixed itself! I must say that in spite of the nice new indoor shower, I really prefer the out one.....

rayyy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 18:51

I'll tell you what,,,I take my hot shower every morning just like all those people all around the world.But instead of keeping 20 or 30 gallons of water hot,24/7 I use maybe 5 gallons of water for a nice hot shower for pennys of lp gas!Love my Ecotemp!!!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 21:43

OK Guys

You sold me, my eccotemp L5 is on its way from Amazon. Now what 12 pump is a good match. Im off grid and have a 500 gallon rainwater tank.

thanks

davey25
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 23:57

The one that comes with the package at outdoor shower world..I have it works great

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 11:52

The shurflo revolution is a great pump. It works flawlessly with the eccotemp and runs quiet.

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 06:59 - Edited by: rayyy

I use a Shurflo,12 volt pump in my cabin as well as one in my camper.They work great.I don't have a pressure tank hooked up.These pumps are designed to kick on when the pressure drops and shut off when the pressure returns.Search online,Shurflo or check out JC Whittney RV,Amazon,Camper World.All good sources.

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 12:08

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eccotemp-L5-Water-Heater-Flojet-Pump-/111153982932
heres a pretty good deal on ebay.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.