Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / minimum temperature of operation for Xantrex C-60...
chris
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 18:18

The manual says that the minimum temperature of operation is 32 degrees F. Xantrex "technical service" rep could only read back the manual.
Can the charge controller be used at temperatures below 32 to keep a bank of batteries charged?
Has anyone used one of these in an unattended unheated cabin in a cold winter?

GomerPile
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 18:33

Think mine is a c40 and I had it working outside all last winter....no issues that I could tell.

chris
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 03:10

Thanks!

groingo
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 13:29

Just keep it dry and there should be no problem but I do see what you saw:
"The ambient air temperature should be between
0 – 40 °C (32 – 104 °F) for best performance.
Safe Ventilation openings on the inverter must not be
obstructed. If the inverter ismounted in a tight fitting
compartment, the compartment must be ventilated with
cut-outs to prevent the inverter from overheating"

Guess they were playing it safe.

chris
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 23:55

Zero C is the freezing temp of water.. not electronics..

Xantrex competitors manuals show operating temperatures much lower than freezing.

It is frustrating that you call "Technical Support" and get someone non-technical, who can't(won't) put you in contact with an engineer!

ICC
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 20:10

Quoting: chris

Zero C is the freezing temp of water.. not electronics..

Xantrex competitors manuals show operating temperatures much lower than freezing.

It all depends on the quality of the electronic components and how much of thier ass Xantrex is trying to cover. Solis state electronics expand as they warm. That could cause varied failures depending on the part quality and the assembly quality. Perhaps there will be no problem, but who knows.

Tou will likely get the same answer from a Xantrex engineer, after all his paycheck comes from Xantrex. IMO.

Rossman
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 20:18

I would imagine they'd be concerned with condensation?

chris
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 23:36

Morningstar has these specs... more realistic!!

ENVIRONMENTAL
• Ambient temperature –40 to +45ºC
• Storage temperature –55 to +85ºC
• Humidity 100% (NC)
• Enclosure Type 1 (Indoor & vented),
powder coated

groingo
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 10:52

Here's what I do to eliminate all doubt, call the manufacturer, saves a lot of second guessing.

chris
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 22:45

Try it! The reason I am on this Blog is that I kept getting non answers from Xantrex/Schneider.

The last was, "we use commercial integrated circuits, they are rated to 0 degrees C so we rate the unit to zero degrees."

groingo
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 17:03 - Edited by: groingo

If that is what the manual says and what the engineers say then if your getting colder temps you will need to buy one more suited to your conditions, if you do get it and it craps out the first thing that will kill your warranty will be the low temp, pass and move on.
Personally all I have ever used is Outback brand, pricey but has never failed.

Theirs are rated:

Temperature Range Rated
0 to 50°C (power derated above 25°C)

Maximum -25 to 60°C (Functions, but does not necessarily meet all component specifications)

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 19:11

Quoting: chris
getting non answers from Xantrex/Schneider.

The last was, "we use commercial integrated circuits, they are rated to 0 degrees C so we rate the unit to zero degrees."

seems like an honest answer. maybe not the answer wanted but telling things like they are.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.