Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Powerhouse generator (buyer beware)
groingo
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 15:35 - Edited by: groingo

Well, I ran the first 7 hours and changed the oil and all I could say was YIKES, looked like brown metallic paint with fine chips and chunks of aluminum throughout.

Called Wayfair (purchased from) and they asked what was wrong so I ran down the list, 22 inch start cord that is fraying badly and is way too short, fuel bypass drain drains inside case to the hot muffler and exposed electronics, pre measured oil fill container is too small, crankcase required 220 cc and container is measure only to 200 and the list goes on and by then end we were both just laughing at how anything could be so bad.

The guy at Wayfair didn't even balk, he said they will refund the full amount immediately after I mentioned the fuel bypass problem, so what to do with generator, he checked and said the manufacturer doesn't accept returns so throw it away!

For now, I'm going to keep testing it and if it shows any potential will make some upgrades to it provided the engine quits barfing metal chunks, will see.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 23:52

Well, Wayfair seems to have good customer service. That gennie sounds like a Chinese unit.

groingo
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 10:41

Yep, 100 percent Chinese supposedly built in an ISO approved and rated manufacturing plant so the products should be of the highest quality, unfortunately their ISO registration number thus far cannot be verified....no shock there.
Wayfair has also told me they are pulling these generators and will be checking the rest, thing is, as far as the 500 WI, Wayfair has only sold 13 in the US this past year!

Dillio187
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 11:37

too bad about the generator, but it sounds like you found an increasing rarity these days: good customer service. Hopefully you found the 'damage' soon enough and get a few years of service from the generator!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 12:16

Drawback to the chinese stuff, is no parts available. You may gwet a few while that unit is still in production, but its stioll really slow. Once its out of production, no parts available. That is where a big name with lots of their own service centers is nice, ie Honda, Yamaha etc.

groingo
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 13:46

I will keep a very close eye on the oil, have a new starter assembly coming (under warranty) in case I mess up the original trying to fix it and will definitely be keeping the Yamaha as a backup.

It really ticks me off this disposable mentality in sales today, in the end the manufacturer never hears about problems nor do they seem to care....sucks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.