Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Forklift Batteries with Solar
MJW
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 17:05

Anyone here have any experience using industrial batteries (used on forklifts or pallet-jacks) instead of the standard golfcart or other renewable energy batteries?

I have been reading a bit on them and it seems that although the cost is roughly the same to get the same power/amp hours, the expected life of the forklift batteries is 15 to 20 years with proper care.

Interesting stuff. Just wondering if anyone here has any actual experience with them.

Dillio187
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 21:31

not with solar setups, but we use them a ton at work in our forklifts. They do have a higher rate of self discharge than other batteries, and obviously they weigh a ton.

MJW
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 09:21

Quoting: Dillio187
obviously they weigh a ton

For sure but if they really last 20 years, once you get that sucker in place you are good to go for a while.

groingo
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 10:56

Get some information from the manufacturer and compare, depending on your use and plus sides they may be worth that extra bit.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:32

Keep in mind that 20 years in a controlled environment and that's not without yanking out and replacing cells.
Heat kills a battery and cold lowers their efficiency. You'll almost need a fork truck to move the sucker too.

MJW
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 13:48

Quoting: hueyjazz
Keep in mind that 20 years in a controlled environment and that's not without yanking out and replacing cells.
Heat kills a battery and cold lowers their efficiency. You'll almost need a fork truck to move the sucker too.

Maybe but it still sounds like a more cost effective way to store power.

Not saying it actually is but 20 years, even with some added maint. is a long time.

Rossman
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 21:52

For any real serious off-grid batteries weight is gonna be an issue.

I feel like these could be good, also the batteries that phone companies use in exchanges to keep their shit running when the grid goes down are pretty serious business as well...

evrmc1
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 00:31

Fork truck batteries are very heavy. If you have to move them how you going to do it? I seen a guy use caterpillar batteries but he change them to 6 volt car batteries he said the plates were larger.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 12:19

This is by far the best website I've found for solar and they provide many hints as how to do it right. No where have I found anyone using fork truck batteries. It might have something to do with what is required to charge them. I know when I put a low charge truck on a charge it draws amps at a very high rate then simmers down in a few hours.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

Rossman
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 12:26

Wholesale solar is alright, northern arizona wind & sun is better, i think, and has a much better forum...

http://www.wind-sun.com/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.