Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Septic System Issue
lamontjr381
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 18:23

I have a small cottage on 3 acres in Lac-des-Loups, Quebec, that I have owned for 8 years. The septic system is classified as a hauled system (no longer allowed) that was put in under permit. In short, a hawled system has a holding tank for black water, and a smaller septic system for grey water. For those who want to know more about these systems, refer to Division XII, paragraphs 53 through 64 at the link below:
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=3&file= /Q_2/Q2R22_A.HTM

There is a stream on the property that used to dump in the lake. Over the years, the stream brought sand down the system, so that, the flow to the lake is interrupted and a portion of my property is now flooded. When the flooding became noticeable (4 years ago), I went to the municipality for a permit to dredge the stream, and return normal flow. This is actually a municipal bylaw, and a provincial law, that I must keep moving water moving, and not allow it to be blocked. The municipality referred it to the province, the province said no. I quoted from their own documentation, saying that if it was a beaver dam, they would make me remove it. If it flooded a neighbours property, they would make me dredge it. But they remained firm.

Now the real issue. I was flagged for a septic system review by the municipality. They said I had to prove that the system in the ground was put in according to the permit. During the digging, it became apparent that the flooding has raised the water table such that, the leaching field of my grey water system is now under water. Personally, it does not matter to me: my sinks and tub drain fine, and the system is not polluting (as proven with fecal choliform, and phosphate water tests, and soil sample tests). The water table level is well below the exit from the storage tank, which means that it is not backing up.

Now the municipality is saying that because the leaching field (with gravel base) is less than 30 cms above the water table, my system does not conform to paragraph 61(c) and has to be removed.

When I read paragraph 61, it looks to me like they are talking about when the system is built, not a system that has been in the ground for 40 years!

Do I have any recourse? I want to tell them that now they have to let me drain dredge the stream and restore natural flow to protect my system. Any thoughts or similar stories with results would be appreciated.

Thanks!

groingo
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 15:19 - Edited by: groingo

Can you just put in holding tanks that don't outlet, so you just have them pumped when needed or better known as a closed system where nothing leaves the tank?

If all else fails ask yourself "What would Red Green Do"?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.