Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / pool granular chlorine for rainwater - anyone doing it?
optimistic
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 15:11

I will only use my rainwater for showers and kitchen and bath faucets. I won't be drinking the water. I just realized that I can't keep bleach in my cabin as it will freeze and might burst. I see that they sell those granular chlorine for the pool... Anyone use it?

How much do I need to treat 18 gallons (that is my indoor tank)?

PatrickH
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 16:49

I saw a video on you tube where the guy had a rainwater storage tank (big one) water coming out went into a filter housing that he put a large chlorine disc looked like urinal mint I believe they also drank the water I think they lived on an island.

razmichael
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 17:36

I'm not sure how you would control the chlorine level with a chlorine puck. Problem with liquid bleach is that it loses its strength fairly quickly once opened so it can be hard to know how much to use. A really good alternative is calcium hypochlorite (for pools as a shock - make sure it not some mixture with other stuff in it). You can buy it in granular packs. It will last forever dry and and you use a small amount of it to make a mixture to disinfect the water. A little goes a long way and you can make fresh batches to ensure you have a proper strength disinfectant Here is a set of instructions I use (multiple sources provide the same or very similar ratios - there is some difference in strengths of the granular stuff but the end result is very similar in the actual chlorine level at the end.

Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.

To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

optimistic
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 19:52

Fantastic tip razmichael! That is the info I was looking for. I will do that.

DanNbama
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 20:18

I found this link for you. Just read on down the page.

http://www.islandhottub.com/sanitize.html

PatrickH
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 07:40 - Edited by: PatrickH

heres the video hes been doing that way for 20 yearshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSV7oP43Fi8

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 07:44

Optimistic - I'll add a reference to the bit above on calcium Hypochlorite Water Purification. There are some parasites that can withstand chlorine but not likely anything you will see in your rain water. We bring in our drinking water and use chlorinated lake water for showers and washing. I don't (currently) filter the lake water as I figure we swim in it anyway so only chlorinating it to wash and shower is not risky. I have the filtering capability to use the lake water as drinking water if needed but can't convince my wife that it is safe.

optimistic
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 20:18

Thanks for the info Raz.

Patrick - Great link.. Very interesting filter he has there. He gives the water a shock before they enter the tank which is a great idea.

I wonder if I can just add some hypochlorite to my cistern every so often for the same effect.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 20:33

Check into using hydrogen peroxide...you don't wanna take a shower in pool chemicals do you? When you get out of a pool your supposed to rinse off in clean water to remove the chlorine ....

optimistic
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 20:39

I looked into a long time ago, when researching hot tubs, but I can't find where to find the stuff and info on using it properly. Also, I couldn't see that many people using it...

I would love to be chemical free - if possible

optimistic
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 07:00

Anyone here using hydrogen peroxide to sanitize their water?

jace
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 11:34

I have bought 32% hydrogen peroxide to use in my 275 gallon tank. but have yet to find the ratio it should be used and how often it should be treated

optimistic
# Posted: 22 Aug 2013 23:08

Sorry to bump this but I want buy some calcium hypochlorite soon and the math seems strange..I am a bit confused as to how much of it I need to disinfect 18 gallons of water?? (the volume of my indoor tank)

I found this
http://phc.amedd.army.mil/phc%20resource%20library/31-008-1004.pdf

but I can't figure out the amount of calcium hypochlorite I need to disinfect 18 gallons of water. That is how much I will need to disinfect when I go to my cabin.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Aug 2013 00:46

I read that to mean you start with the granular calcium hypochlorite and dissolve some in water to make a liquid solution. A heaping tspn, 1/4 oz. to 2 gallons water. Then you take 1 part of that and add that to 100 parts of the water to be disinfected.

18 gallons = 18 x 128 = 2304 ounces

2304 / 100 = 23 ounces of the liquid chlorine solution to be added to the 18 gallons water.

At least that is what I make of it.

What it comes down to I think is that the actual amount of calcium hypechlorite granules needed for 18 gallons is very small. You would need to have a precision scale to measure out the very small wt of the granules needed, so they do a dilute solution and dilute further from there.

optimistic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2013 07:22

I was too tired for math yesterday... Continuing your calculations ICC -

256/23 = 11.13~ therefore, 23 / 11.13 = 0.0224 oz to treat 18 gallons.

I have tiny measuring spoons I used to fertilize my aquarium.... I have a 'dash' size spoon which is 1/8tsp which = 0.0208 oz... so very very close to the amount I need. I could just add that and I think I will be good. I'll ask my brother in law ( a chemist)

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 08:36 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Chlorine bleach does lose strength with age, and will freeze. My plastic bleach bottle has never split (although it might if it were full).

As mentioned, this is not drinking water. Using rainwater is low risk.

Some things to consider:

Showering with untreated rainwater won't make most people sick. People swim or bathe in rivers, streams and lakes frequently with no ill effect. Much more "stuff" in these water sources.

Bleach is fairly cheap and easy to get in rural areas, where specialty chemicals may not be.

optimistic
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 08:49

SE Ohio - I agree with you for the most part and I do think this is an over-kill but these "specialty" chems you are talking about... A 1lb bag of the stuff, which will last me probably my ENTIRE LIFE, is $5 online with shipping it comes to $10... I already have the measuring spoons (which are also cheap) - so if it is so easy to make the water safer - why not?

If you catch something nasty from those water you will not look smart saving a few bucks on this chems....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.