Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What type of battery are you using to power your cabin
bukhntr
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 17:56 - Edited by: bukhntr

What type of battery and size/brand are you using for power? I am ready to purchase my battery for my power source to the inverter. I will do the charging at home and transport to the cabin. I read to use a gel cell battery to have the least amount of fumes. A local store recomends using an AGM absorbsed glass matt battery. I checked with Optimum battery home office about the battery and was told the only time you get gas is during over charging or heavy load on battery. I will have neither going on in cabin. It is mostly for lighting using cfl bulbs and pulling about 1 amp if everything is on at once. I plan to get a 75 amp hr battery

GomerPile
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 08:12

For your application, I would just pick up a deep cycle marine battery from Walmart. They have a 100 amp hour one for about 80 bucks....buy 2 and have some spare capacity if you want to run an 800w microwave or something.

The hydrogen production happens during charging and is not that big of a deal. The slightest ventilation will dissipate any gas. It becomes an issue with a large bank in a sealed battery box. In that case they make a small power vent to suck out the gas. For a single battery I would not worry....open a window if concerned.

For best life dont discharge them all the way. Don't let them sit for more than a couple weeks without being charged. Walmart sells battery small trickle chargers for maintenance charging.

Kharkov43
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 08:21

We use 4 deep cycle marine batteries from Interstate Batteries. Our solar is 100 watt panel and a 60 watt panel.

groingo
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 14:29

I used to have a Chevy pickup that I hauled a camper on, it was set up with two batteries, one for the engine and one for the camper, when the engine battery was charged it then charged the camper battery while you drove so when you arrived you were charged and ready.

Steve961
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 17:59

I use an AGM battery and prefer it over flooded batteries. the advantages for me are:

1. Resistant to freezing. My cabin's in northern Wisconsin, so with an AGM I don't have to worry about freezing.

2. Low maintenance. No need to add water and check specific gravity.

3. They can be kept indoors since they don't give off hydrogen.

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 19:24

Deep cycle batteries for this kind of use.I have 3 in my system and they have worked just fine now for 3 years.

MI drew
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 21:57

I had a Walmart deep cycle that just died and it was just under 2 years old. Possibly buying another for the cost of $80. I would bring it home to charge or use my generator. Sam's club has 6v 220ah batteries for $82 each. Wire them in series to get 12v. From what I understand golf cart batteries handle the charge and discharge cycle even better than regular deep cycle. So that's an idea?

Dillio187
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 09:52 - Edited by: Dillio187

(2) 6V Exide 220ah golf cart batteries in series from Sam's club, charged by a 320 watt solar array.

When charged up, flooded lead acid batteries will not freeze. They only freeze when deeply discharged. They have thicker plates than the 'marine' batteries and will last much longer when taken care of, and are most likely your best 'bang for the buck'.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.