Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / well water DOWN to my cabin?
Marg
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 00:14

Without power how do I get the well water down to my cabin. One problem is that the outlet pipe in the well is above the water line!!
I now have a generator pumping water up into a 300 gallon tank (which is so mouldy that its made me sick, drinking this water). I have tried 12v pumps, gravity and can't find an answer to this problem.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 07:54

Siphon?

Marg
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 13:52

I have a siphon worked out but can't seem to hold the water in it. Always small air bubbles eventually work into it and it stops working. The only thing left that I can think of is to get a machine in to dig down and re do the outlet pipe so its below the water line (in the well). Then the water would be constantly flowing out of the well, down to the cabin (I have a shut off valve in the crawl space of the cabin to shut off the water for the winter). Would this work?
It will mean a big expense as it is probably 10' of digging into hard earth. to do this by hand, would be too hard.

Martian
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 15:46

Marg, if you dig below the water level in the well, you will likely be into water. You would need to go well below the water level in order to ensure flow during drier periods, too.

Why not simply keep the reservoir clean? I would think if you cleaned it every 3 months or so, and added a little bleach or other treatment, you shouldn't have problems.

If you want to help keep the siphon going you might try putting a foot valve in the well. It will hold the water in place instead of it always wanting to flow back to the well. A tank at the bottom may help, too, if the line from the well enters at the bottom of the tank. If you take these steps, and you still lose your syphon, then there is a small leak in the line someplace that is letting in air.

Tom

Marg
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 18:35

thank you for this. I do have a foot valve in the well. I am suspicious of a leak in the line somewhere but not at all sure.
Cleaning out the reservoir would work, I am just obsessed with getting the beautifully fresh well water to flow directly down the slope into my cabin, without the tank, the generator, and the pipes everywhere.

Martian
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 19:34 - Edited by: Martian

The foot valve may need to be cleaned. Even a small something may allow the water to flow back into the well. It definitely will if there is a small leak anywhere in the lines. Have you thought of a small hand pump to start the flow? It could be in the cabin, and as long as its self-priming, would create suction to start the water syphoning down. How much lift do you have at the top to get water flowing downhill?

Maintaining a suction on any line is hard! It may not be possible to do with infrequent use of the water without a tank down at the cabin. I would most likely put the reservoir tank somewhere between the cabin and the well, but below the level of the well a few feet. That way, you fill the tank by syphoning water from the well as needed, and gravity supplies the cabin. You may need a small hand pump to start the flow into the tank, however.

Tom

Marg
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 23:32

Thanks so much Tom. I have not checked that foot valve for a few years so will do that. I have a sump pump in the so well that the generator powers the water up and out and into the reservoir right now and it works okay, except of course in the winter. I have had this system for a couple of years. I had not thought of putting the water tank further down the hill as the system I have now works okay. I think I will try the hand pump idea. I have thought of it but never done it before. This forum is so wonderful, I have just discovered it!! after all these years of experimenting its so nice to talk to someone who seems to know what I am talking about. So its back up to the well and experiment some more. Its a good time of the year to fool with it as the water is probably at its lowest right now. thank you.

Marg
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 23:33

One more question..........I have a white clear tank. Would a black one be better (for not growing that algae in it?)

Martian
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 23:50

Yes, a black tank would cut down on algae growth. You can paint yours, or enclose it to keep out sunlight.

Martian
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 09:13 - Edited by: Martian

Marg, while we are brainstorming, let me throw this one out there for your consideration.

If the reservoir tank is below the well water level, you may be able to plumb in a tee and attach a Whale Gusher bilge pump http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333662_200333662?cm_mmc=Google-pla- _-Water%20Pumps-_-Hand%20Pumps-_-109911&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=109911&gclid=CKGl84nUm LkCFVNo7Aode3EAxg to get the flow going. All you would need is a shutoff valve after the tee and before the tank. Close the valve, pump until you have water flowing, and open the valve and let it fill the tank. You might be able to put the pump in the cabin and do the same thing, to restore the syphon flow all the way to the cabin.

If you use the cabin year round, I'd have a tank inside and use the Whale foot pump for drawing water from it. http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Whale_MK3_Galley_Foot_Pump.html?gclid=CL6imovWm LkCFcvm7Aod_B0ATA

It may be possible to draw straight from the well with the foot pump, but you may have to pump awhile.

EDIT: Thinking a little more about the best of all worlds. If its feasible, put the cabin tank in the attic and gravity feed from there. That assumes the well is far enough above the cabin to syphon feed a tank in the attic. Those Whale bilge pumps create a lot of suction. I honestly think you could put it in the cabin and pull enough suction to start the flow to fill the tank. In Winter, having the supply line drain back into the well, or into the tank, might be a good idea to keep it from freezing. If you had a valve you could open at the wellhead to break the syphon, after filling the tank, then you would also have the water in the line to add to the tank capacity and the initial pressure.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.