Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / solar panel on amazon... is this price good?
optimistic
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 08:45

I know you can get panels for under $1 a watt but for me, in NY, they are not that easy to find so the shipping on them is steep....

These panels are $1.7 a watt but free two day shipping... (I have Prime).

But I didn't really delved deep into finding panels so these might be not such a good deal... What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009Z6CW7O/ref=dra_a_cs_ss_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=smacab-20

buckybuck
# Posted: 24 Aug 2013 17:14

Nothing gets a lively conversation started here more often than solar panels (well, perhaps with the exception of which is better--golf cart or marine batteries), but I've seen Renogy panels being sold on Amazon and eBay for some time now.

I wish Renogy would be a little less coy as to whether or not these particular panels are made in the U.S. or elsewhere, but at least some of their panels are made in the U.S.

Currently, Renogy is selling 100 watt poly panels on eBay for $145 shipped, which is $25 less than the mono panels on Amazon. According to what little I've read about the difference between the two types of panels, mono panels do a little better in high temperatures than do poly panels. Heat may not be an issue in New York.

Dillio187
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 11:03

the price of the "free" shipping is built into to cost of the panel, but that being said, it looks like they would work fine.

bucky is right, those are mono panels, which are really good, but if having the absolutely smallest panel per wattage doesn't matter to you, getting poly panels will save you a few bucks. You can tell the difference because mono panel cells have their edges 'cut' off and poly panels are square or rectangular.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.